> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 21:35:06 -0400
> From: Matthew Palmer <palme...@mymail.vcu.edu>
> To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Sursound] Calculating speaker placement
>
> Curious what speakers you're using.

Hi Matthew

To start with I will be using cheap second hand Hi-FI speakers. They are Gale
Gold Mrk2. I have been collecting them off ebay for a while.
The Subs I have are completely over the top from my PA, and are from DB
Technologies. These really are too big for the room, so will be replaced at a
later date.
I have also bought quite a few  MOTU 2408 mrk1s that will be feeding multiple 7
channel Denon 3802 amps. These were the cheapest clean power per channel I
could find (100watts). They all also respond to the same remote, so matching
gains and changing volume is easy!
Everything is second hand, ebay is my friend. I did quite a bit of research and
listening and I think this set up is one of the cheapest ok sounding, and
expandable systems I could find. Ambisonics doesn't have to be expensive, and
it is surprising how much better even first order sounds on a crap system. Even
stereo encoded ambisonically sounds better compared to stereo on the same
system. Well to my ears anyway :)
This was the cheapest ok sounding expandable system I could construct on my
budget. Eventually I will be building my own array, and not using any brand
boxes, but for now this will be a test for the space.
I also have 10 Yamaha NS10s (the marmite of speakers:) which may employed
horizontally at a later date. They are currently in my soon to be old studio....
At home I have 8 orb audio speakers and their sub..

All the best.

Steve