The distance (technically, "range" - from perceiver to source- -) problem
encountered in "giant geese: (John Leonard's ambisonic recording of close-miked
geese played over a large, <30m radius rig) was the disparity in subtended
angles produced by the decorrelation across any image with non-neglible ASW
(apparent source width) in combination with a perceptiual constancy for speaker
distance in any non-anechoic performance site.
As Dave says, we had fun with several examples of 'blown up' images - a giant
toilet (with high-flush cistern), a VW (mine) that approached plausibly enough,
then as it traversed the speaker array - whose radius was significantly greater
than the mic-source distance - the VW stretched and became huge, about 15metres
long and high as a house - then it departed, plausibly enough.

My students have encountered the same when trying to reproduce a "Mousetrap"
game (a thing with rolling marbles that travel along little troughs, drop to
the next level and so on) in an auditorium - change the display radius, and the
sound of the speed of rolling and the change of angle seriously don't match.

So, one can't just treat things as 'point sources' (what is one of those,
exactly?) and movement has to take into account the display radius.

Still, a giant toilet flushing was fun to behold.

regards
ppl
Dr. Peter Lennox
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Senior Lecturer in Perception
College of Arts
University of Derby

Tel: 01332 593155