From: Sursound [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Jörn Nettingsmeier
[netti...@stackingdwarves.net]
Sent: 20 April 2015 10:10
To: sursound@music.vt.edu
Subject: Re: [Sursound] ENVELOP - 3D Sound, on Kickstarter.com

On 04/20/2015 12:07 AM, Stefan Schreiber wrote:

> All valid points.
>
> But how would you build a  good Ambisonics rig for home use, then?
>
> You might need three or four subs if the  range of your speakers doesn't
> go down far enough... If you don't have space, I would (still) go for
> good speakers, at least down to about 40 hz.
>
> And maybe we should distinguish between a large area rig (Jörn) and a
> home system, for further and more accurate discussion. The large area PA
> system will be cheaper if you use subs. In home systems you will have
> the typical space restrictions.

Fair point, although even at home it might be easier to hide one or more
subs and keep the rest of the speakers as compact as possible.

> You could use one sub of your 5.1 system, as long as you have one.
> Typical Ambisonics software decoders for 4.0 or 5.0 layout won't support
> the .1 subwoofer.   (Or are there some?)

Just hook it up to the W channel. That assumes matched gains and
crossover, which should be provided by most if not all home theatre sets.

> Jörn: With which software and measures are you actually driving your
> system? You could filter the channels and (basically) drive two decoders
> for 3rd order (main PA speakers) and 1st order (for the 4 subs).  (?)

It's usually ambdec. And yes, that's indeed what I do. During testing,
there will be two instances of ambdec for subs and tops, and for
production, I usually fold their configurations into a single matrix for
ease of use.

> A normal "sound processor" style filtering can't be applied in this
> case, because of the mixed 8 speakers/4subs PA system. So aren't you
> using a "mixed-order decoder" in the 1st place? (Quotation marks
> intentional, as the source is TOA. You still have 8 + 4 speakers/subs.
> to drive.)

I don't understand what you mean by "sound processor".

Yes, a system made of, for example, 16 tops and 4 subs like this one
[1] would be mixed-order, but even then, the area of good-enough
reconstruction is way larger for the first-order bass than for the
third-order treble range.

[1]
http://stackingdwarves.net/public_stuff/ardour_photos/Ardour-Klanglabor-2.jpg

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net

For all FOI requests please contact:   f...@derby.ac.uk
All other Contacts are at http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/