From: Sursound [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Peter Lennox
[p.len...@derby.ac.uk]
Sent: 22 April 2015 10:28
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] ENVELOP - 3D Sound, on Kickstarter.com - SUB frequency
range

I've briefly tried to find a reference on lower bounds for phase-locking, which
would limit directional acuity at the bottom of LF, and haven't yet.. I'll try
again.

It seems to me that all the other constraints on LF directional hearing are
acoustic, to do with standing waves.

In a large array (different from what was being discussed, I know) and for
ambulant perceivers, amplitude gradient across the array comes into place, and
even with a X-over freq of 80Hz, you can hear Lf panning quite clearly
(obviously, when testing subs, one muted the mid-n-tops)

Dr. Peter Lennox
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Senior Lecturer in Perception
College of Arts
University of Derby

Tel: 01332 593155