From: Sursound [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Jörn Nettingsmeier
[netti...@stackingdwarves.net]
Sent: 22 April 2015 19:20
To: sursound@music.vt.edu
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Infra sound & Sub bass.

On 04/22/2015 06:49 PM, jon burton wrote:
> Hi I am new to the group but hoping  someone may be able to help. I
> am looking at the positive effects of low frequencies in music,
> predominantly below 50Hz. This involves aural as well as
> mechanosensations. I am interested in seeing if reinforcing the low
> frequency content below 50Hz can help produce a more immersive
> listening experience at lower overall sound pressure levels
> (particularly when measured using the A weighting scale). Trouser
> flapping bass! I am struggling to find papers on the subject. Any
> suggestions are welcome!

Well, it's not a secret that most live sound engineers, when faced with
a 99dB(A) rule, will mix into the A curve, i.e. crank up the bass a lot.
So there is plenty anecdotal evidence for more bass resulting in less
weighted sound pressure. For more perceived loudness, mixing in some
typical loudspeaker-like artificial distortion has prevented me from
getting beaten up at a "95 at the mixer" open air metal concert. Don't
ask me who came up with that rule, for that kind of music.

But I've heard medical research hint at low frequency exposure having a
very damaging effect across the entire hearing spectrum, which means
that we are mixing around the rules but are actually endangering our
audiences.
Be sure to check the literature for this problem, to get a balanced view.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net

For all FOI requests please contact:   f...@derby.ac.uk
All other Contacts are at http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/