On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 01:15:22PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> Intriguing idea, that. So we would apply zero-phase high-pass
> filters to the second and higher components?
> Should be nice for a test run, but how to keep latency down for live
> electronics and A/V sync? How would we phase-align an IIR filter?
> Allpasses on the lower components?

For example.

Next Ambdec (already in use here, and to be released soon)
can do this.

It's actually a Python class (and a Jack client of course),
and that's done so you can really configure it as you want.
For a fixed decoder all you need is a small Python script
which could include the configuration data, or read it from
files. But you can also add a pyqt5 GUI (the unfinished part
ATM) to get something similar to the current Ambdec, or an
OSC interface, etc.

Processing is done in three stages:

1. Bandsplitting, four options:

  - single band
  - single band with sub xover
  - dual band
  - dual band with sub xover

  so in the latter case you'd have 3 bands. The
  sub filter is 4th order.

2. For each band you can add as many matrices
   as you want, each of them handling user
   defined subsets of inputs and outputs.

3. Matrix outputs are added, near-field compensation,
   delay and gain control are done for each output.

Processing can be multi-threaded on SMP hardware.

The 'sub' band you could use to drive subs, or to
crossover to a lower order decode using the full-
range speakers. Of course if you want to do both
and dual band as well, you'd need four bands.
I'll consider that if there is some press^H^H^H^H^H
interest.

Ciao,

--
FA