Hi Fons,

these are great points you raise here!

On 27 Jan 2016, at 00:13, Fons Adriaensen
<f...@linuxaudio.org<mailto:f...@linuxaudio.org>> wrote:

I've been reading this thread with much interest, as it is exactly
about the topic I've been working on for the last two months.

* Most HRIR sets have an LF response that is almost certainly
not correct. Up to a few hundred Hz it should be flat. One
essential step in the preparation is to fix this. How this
is done best depends on the particular data set. If this is
done correctly you can trim the IRs to a few ms without any
adverse effect.

Something that has worked well for me is to replace the (unmeasurable) low
frequency HRTF with the response of a spherical head model, including the phase
response, normalised to match the rest of the measured HRTF. One can go more
exact and find a “personalised” sphere radius, with a more realistic
‘off-horizontal’ position of the two receivers (ears) on the sphere. This
approach has been used too to fit a sphere on a quick Kinect head scan, for
personalised ITD estimation, with good results:
"Hannes Gamper, Mark R. P. Thomas, and Ivan J. Tashev, Anthropometric
Parameterisation of a Spherical Scatterer ITD Model with Arbitrary Ear
Angles<http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=258403>, in
Proc. IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics
(WASPAA)”

* All content derived from non-surround sources (e.g.
plain stereo or 5.1) requires some 'room sound' to work
well. Externalisation seems to depend on having early
reflections from different directions (which would allow
the brain to compare their spectra). Generating such
room sound can be done in the AMB domain. What exactly
is required and how to do that efficiently is my current
research problem.

Again something that has worked well for me is to use a few HOA-encoded point
sources as early-reflections, plus independent decorators/reverberators per HOA
channel, with different decays at different frequencies, for the late part. The
late part filters require a further tuning stage though, to match the ‘sinc’
like binaural-coherence of left and right ear signals in diffuse sound. I have
found that this matching improves significantly externalisation, and sounds
more natural.

Regards,
Archontis