In BLaH11 (AES 137, 10/2014, Los Angeles) , Eric and I compared horizontal
FOA over a 2-meter radius 4-speaker diamond vs. 8-speaker octagon with
binaural dummy head measurements and listening tests.  (classic decoding:
2-band, rV=1 at LF, rE=sqrt(1/2) at HF, 400 Hz xover, NFC).

The TL;DR summary is yes, with 8 speakers what Solvang/2008 calls spectral
impairment is clearly audible in the vicinity of the sweet spot as an HF
rolloff or dullness of the sound, but as you move away from the central
location, the soundfield collapses to the nearest loudspeaker much faster
with only 4 loudspeakers.

Here's the AES permalink for the paper.

  http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17452

--