I have used QT7 for 1st order wavs on loop and for 8 tk tk wavs for discrete
playback without issue  though you
should check any decoder latency when using 16 channel - 4 did have have small
latency but not
a problem given the material involved. I use Soundflower and aggregate audio
devices without
problem but the new "Loopback" software avoids these but im not sure yet if it
passes multis from QT
Also with video playback matching the resolution of the file to your playback
needs is most important followed by the codeq u choose.

Qlab is a promedia player of choice for theatres these days and will handle
multiple videos plus 24 track
audio midi and osc.  Its advantage over a simple QT type playback is the
ability to adjust audio playback
to compensate for encoding latency.   You can test it for free though only in
stereo - but you can rent it for
a few dollars to get the full mullarky for testing

mick