Hello,

for those who are interested in ambisonic processing on the web (outside of
Facebook and Youtube 360 playback),

this is an update on the JSAmbisonics library of Web Audio objects for first-
(FOA) and higher-order (HOA) processing:

https://github.com/polarch/JSAmbisonics

Compared to the first early summer release, the examples have been updated with
better decoding filters, and some more functionality; you can check them on
your browser (Chrome/Firefox) or mobile (Android/Chrome) here:

https://cdn.rawgit.com/polarch/JSAmbisonics/1ccae3a6f0a60a690f5eb4bb5bbb21b58a5d5993/index.html

There was also a recent presentation and publication on the library in the
Interactive Audio Systems Symposium, York, UK. You can find a description of
the internals of the library on that publication here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308761825_JSAmbisonics_A_Web_Audio_library_for_interactive_spatial_sound_processing_on_the_web

For people interested to integrate spatial sound on their applications, it
seems to me perfectly doable to do many of the apps that pop up recently with
all the VR boom, directly on the browser and without getting tied to a certain
platform. Examples can be HOA ambisonic players with head-tracking, simple HOA
mixing tools and manipulations with a GUI etc, acoustic visualization tools
etc..
In the online examples, the mobile-phone player one is a quick hack we cooked
that tries to demonstrate that. It is intended for Android phones (maybe will
work on iPhones too) that have a gyro, and renders a spherical video of a small
part from a recording here at Helsinki concert hall, in split-screen,
Google-cardboard style, with FOA playback, and rotation based on the mobile’s
sensors. It has worked on most phones I tried it around ( if you see the video
on the screen, you have to click anywhere to get it started ).

On new features, various conversion tools and ambisonic mirroring have been
added, but probably the most interesting one is that we did some effort on
generating ambisonic-binaural filters from HRTF files, in the SOFA format,
directly on the browser for an arbitrary order.
So that people can select HRTFs from a database and get a personalized
experience without having to derive the filters themselves. It is still WIP but
it seems robust. The SOFA example demonstrates that with two HRTF sets.

Safari and iOS are partially supported (no support for multichannel .ogg files
at the moment, but otherwise mostly functional)

Again, any comments or feedback mostly welcome!

Regards,
Archontis Politis