Hello and a happy new year to the list,

just to mention some more resources on this topic: part of the open-source
Matlab libraries I made public last year deals with this matter: deriving the
matrix of filters form the microphone to the B-format signals, FOA or HOA.

The filters can be computed from a description of the array (e.g. 6
super-cardioids at some desired radius and with desired orientation, or 16
omnis on a hard sphere), or from a set of anechoic measured responses of the
array. The solution can be chosen from a few different published approaches,
based either on a regularized LMS (similar to Farina’s solution) or a
thresholding inversion approach.

There is not extensive documentation at the moment, one needs to study the
functions a bit, but you can see the results in action for the Eigenmike in
these demos, along with the code that produces them:

http://research.spa.aalto.fi/projects/spharrayproc-lib/spharrayproc.html#3

where the filters are computed and evaluated based on a “theoretical” perfect
Eigenmike, and then based on actual Eigenmike measurements. The evaluation is
based on spatial correlation of the filtered responses, showing how similar the
directivity shape across frequency is to the ideal one, (e.g. how closely the X
channel resembles the perfect dipole), and level difference between the actual
and the ideal component, taken as the RMS across all directions (diffuse level).

A report on these may follow soon - in the meantime if somebody’s interested to
use these, let me know for additional help.

Regards,
Archontis

On 06 Jan 2017, at 03:54, David McGriffy