Hi Steven,

as Fons mentioned before such an array will have trouble to deliver proper HOA
components at a useful range. Running a simple simulation here for R=17cm and
assuming perfect matched microphones and perfectly (uniformly) arranged,
spatial aliasing starts to become serious at 4.5kHz. Assuming that the encoding
filters allow some noise amplification, eg 15dB, to get some more usable low
frequencies:
2nd order is well behaved at    200 Hz - 5.5 kHz
3rd order at                            600 Hz - 5    kHz
4th order at                            1   kHz - 4.5 kHz
5th order at                            1.5kHz - 4    kHz

Since the microphones will have some unidealities, and their placement is not
uniform as far as I can see, the actual performance can be worse than that,
depending how much the encoding filters are optimized for the setup or not. And
again that’s assuming 15dB of more noise (frequency-dependent) at the HOA
signals than the microphones, which may be a problem at many recordings. Less
permitted noise on the other hand means that all the low limits for all orders
go up, hence, even smaller usable ranges.

If one wishes to capture spatial sound in a HOA format, instead of having a
device that tries to do everything, it would make more sense to have a separate
camera, and a dedicated HOA microphone since it requires careful optimization
for that purpose.

Regards,
Archontis Politis