Hi

Maybe the designer is ex-BBC. Many older BBC broadcast mixer had reversed faders, on the principle that if you accidentally nudged a fader it was better to reduce level slightly rather than put an unwanted signal on air. It was rather confusing once when I had an OB unit/mixer plus a conventional mixer for a live broadcast! First time I'd had to use a reverse fader desk.

Every Blessing

Tony