At 21:57 26/06/2017, David Pickett wrote:

This whole business of low noise microphones and preamps is in my experience a non-issue in the vast majority of cases.

That said, I was upset to discover that MOTU publish no details on their website of the 4Pre that can be construed as truly technical.

A Sound on Sound review of the larger box says:

"MOTU don't publish any specifications for the 8Pre's analogue circuitry, such as frequency response or signal-to-noise ratio. While it might be nice to know these things, it could be argued that exact figures are almost meaningless to the typical user the 8Pre is aimed at. In any case, modern digital electronics design almost always ensures that signal-to-noise ratio and bandwidth are no longer the key concerns for the performance of an audio interface."

David