My macmini 2012 does 8 channels of hdmi with no problems - either out of HDMI
port or with a converter on the display port out.
Ive used it for 5.1 7.1 and some ambi outputting without problems.

The av box i have is a pioneer lx82 and has to be set correct - direct pcm - i
think mine has to be set before the mac will
even recognise it.   My 2010 MBP will also do it and that has no thunderbolt on
its display port which surprised me.

Have it set up so that programs load and start on boot up or by timer and for
backup - clone the whole drive to a usb drive
that can be booted from if the mac has a dicky fit

mick