--On 07 November 2018 19:02 +0100 David Pickett <d...@fugato.com> wrote:

> In the basic installation, there is an "Ambisonics renderer and
> binauralizer" plugin listed under "Tools/Plugins and extensions".
> I don't know whether it needs some action to install it, but in any
> case, I am not interested in Binaural.

My reading is that the renderer works on its own, and the binauraliser
is separate.  However, I can find no clue how to invoke it; when I
offered it a .amb file, the codec information claimed it had three
front channels and one LFE!  And how does it decide otherwise what
convention the file is made to?

> In April 2014 (how time flies!), when I was putting some test 4.0
> multichannel .mp4 files on my website, I feel sure that I had them
> play back locally through VLC, but I could be mistaken, and I cant
> recall how I might have done it.

In Windows, the key is to have configured the audio device (default, or
whichever is selected in VLC) in Control Panel/Sounds to have the right
number of channels - then VLC (and any browser) will play 4.0 or 5.1
files appropriately for the number of speakers you have.  I have
hundreds of 4.0 files on my web site (behind a password, sorry)*, and
they simply play as required.  It does require the driver to have the
Windows multi-channel mode implemented though - so MOTU interfaces
don't work, because they haven't bothered (I've been using VB-Audio's
ASIO Bridge to get around this, though its setup is far from intuitive).

Paul

* OK, there are just a few here if you scroll down a bit:
https://tetrahedral.audio/ta-recording

--
Paul Hodges