This is more ot less what OSSIC Corp tried to do with Ossic X. They raised
nearly $3M on Kickstarter but managed to burn through most of it without
delivering more than a few dozen prototypes and, they claimed, a few hundred
early production examples. They had four loudspeakers in each side of the
headphones and fancy software to control them.I don't believe it was a
fraudulent project but definitely bad project management. Goal creep became
outrageous. They were finally declared bankrupt about a year ago.
-------- Original message --------From: Sampo Syreeni <de...@iki.fi> Date:
30/12/2022  02:38  (GMT+00:00) To: Surround Sound discussion group
<sursound@music.vt.edu> Subject: Re: [Sursound] So long CIPIC HRTF? (Joseph
Anderson) So how about going about it a different way for a change? Would it be
possible to design a set of headphones which actually locally reproduced a high
order soundfield, for any set of pinnae to utilize? As they naturally do? Kind
of like do very high order ambisonics or WFS, but now right besides the ear,
and headtracked? I mean that ought to take the HRTF modelling aspect fully out
of the picture: the pinna would do what it does for each, and then the upper
torso reflections would also be much easier to simulate numerically, since they
are of lower order and at lower frequency.--