I'd like to urge anyone thinking about web streaming formats to also
consider how such a format could be used within the existing RSS-based
podcast delivery infrastructure.

If there were an open format that had a reasonably good balance of file
size/channel number/spatial resolution, and one could deliver that format
via podcast RSS, it would open up all sorts of creativity for audio
storytellers, documentarians, radio drama, and other more "cinematic" audio
programs.

Obviously this would require podcast apps/players that could decode HOA or
other spatial formats into either binaural or channel-based playback
systems--and I don't know of any that do at the moment. But this all seems
technically doable.

(Please get in contact with me if you happen to be involved in anything
like this!)

- Brendan
--
Brendan P. Baker