Upcoming Events in the Cayuga Lake & Neighboring Watersheds

>From March 29 to April come she will/when streams are ripe and filled with
>rain … and previews

This occasional list shares events widely relating to sustaining and protecting
our water resources.

===

Sat March 29-30, 10AM-4PM: “Sapsquatch presents: Maple Weekend 2” -
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sapsquatch-pure-maple-syrup/41901318258>
Sapsquatch pure maple syrup 2247 Mecklenburg Rd., Enfield, New York 14850.
Visit the sugarshack, feed the fire, tap a tree, eat pancakes, walk in the
woods, brave the luge run [may require….snow], howl at the moon ! 24-7
Festivities as long as the sap is running. Call if you get lost 607-280-8498.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1476190012604131/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

===

Sat March 29, 9-11AM Waterfront Cleanup 2014, Ithaca NY: The Cayuga Waterfront
Trail Initiative, Friends of Stewart Park and the City of Ithaca’s annual
Waterfront Cleanup.  Numerous organizations are helping out to pick up litter
in Stewart Park, Fuertes Bird Sanctuary, Lighthouse Woods, Newman Golf Course,
the Ithaca Farmers Market, Inlet Island, Cass Park and Treman State Marine
Park.  Contact Rick Manning or Scott Wiggins if you or your organization would
like to be involved in this annual effort to clean up litter and debris along
the waterfront while the lake level is still low. The City of Ithaca will
provide trash bags and will pick up bags along the waterfront on Monday
morning.  You can call area captains in advance or just show up on Saturday
morning and pick up litter for an hour or two.   Cleanup sites and meeting
areas include:

·  Stewart Park (meet at Large Pavilion) – Friends of Stewart Park & Ithaca
High School Green Team

·  Renwick Wildwood (meet on boardwalk between pedestrian bridges) – Linda
Orkin and Cayuga Bird Club

·  Newman Golf Course (meet at Clubhouse)  - Friends of Newman Golf Course

·  Waterfront Trail - Market to Stewart Park (meet near The Haunt) – Cascadilla
Boat Club

·  Ithaca Farmers Market  (meet at the market)

·  Inlet Island Area  (meet at west entry to Island Health & Fitness) - Inlet
Island Businesses

·  Bordoni Fitness Trailhead (meet at the trailhead) – Carol Sprague

·  Ithaca Children’s Garden (meet at the garden) – ICG volunteers

·  Black Diamond Trail (meet at entry near ICG) – BDTEN (not confirmed)

·  Cass Park (meet at Cass Park Trailhead/Rink Entry) – Rick Manning

·  Treman Marine State Park (meet at Dog Park entry) – Leon Kochian

====

Monday, March 31, 2014, 7-8:30PM: “Cayuga Lake: Our Gift and Responsibility”

Hilary Lambert, Steward and Executive Director of Cayuga Lake Watershed Network

Bill Foster, Program Director, Cayuga Lake Floating Classroom

Question & Answer/discussion follows

Borg Warner Room, Tompkins County Public Library 101 E. Green St., Ithaca

Co-sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Tompkins County, and Sustainable
Tompkins, Inc.

====

Thursday April 3 6:30-8:30PM, Please join the Community Science Institute for
our 10th Annual Volunteer Symposium: "From Hydrilla to Hydrofracking: Why
Community Science Matters"

Tompkins County Public Library BorgWarner Room, 101 East Green Street, Ithaca.

CSI's 10th Annual Volunteer Symposium celebrates the contributions made by
CSI's volunteer partnerships over the last 10 years. With CSI volunteers now
monitoring in twelve New York counties, the Symposium also serves an
opportunity to meet other volunteers working to protect water quality.

          "From Hydrilla to Hydrofracking: Why Community Science Matters" will
present highlights from the past year of monitoring by CSI volunteers. A panel
will discuss the importance of engaging community members in scientific data
collection about locally relevant water quality issues like invasive species,
phosphorus, erosion and sediment control, harmful bacteria, and fracking. The
event will also include a walk-through of CSI's new online database, which
places water quality data from streams, lakes, and groundwater in the public
domain. This event is free and open to the public. Find out more at:
www.communityscience.org

=====

Saturday April 5, 10 AM -12:30 PM: “Cayuga Lake: Watershed Modeling, Monitoring
& TMDL Projects”

Wells College, 209 Stratton Hall, 170 Main St., Aurora NY 13026. Public
presentation & panel discussion. The Cayuga Lake Watershed Network provides
free community conferences on issues of concern to watershed residents. Join us
at Wells College to learn about new Cayuga Lake water quality research projects
and how they might impact land use in Cayuga County. Refreshments served. Info
displays about hydrilla & other invasives.

For directions contact stew...@cayugalake.org

====

Monday April 11, 10-11AM: Finger Lakes ReUse is hosting a volunteer orientation
at the ReUse Center. Meet great people and help make donated items ready for
sale. Anyone interested in volunteering at the ReUse Center, eCenter, or
Deconstruction Services program should attend this meeting, which will cover
details of operations and volunteer tasks. The ReUse Center is in Triphammer
Marketplace 2255 N Triphammer Rd, Ithaca, NY 14850. Please RSVP to Anise
Hotchkiss, an...@fingerlakesreuse.org, call (607) 257-9699
<tel:%28607%29%20257-9699>  or fill out our Volunteer Application
http://fingerlakesreuse.org/volunteer.shtml

====

April 19 & May 17, Household hazardous waste collection at Tompkins County
Solid Waste, 122 Commercial Ave., Ithaca. You must preregister and have a
permit, all info here:
http://www.recycletompkins.org/Garbage/Household-Hazardous-Waste

Statewide info, where/when to drop off unwanted household drugs:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/63826.html

Statewide info, where/when to drop off household hazardous waste:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/8780.html

====

Ithaca’s Earth Day this year will be held on Sunday, May 4, 1-5pm.

Info from organizer Joey Gates: “This year we are excited to announce that
Earth Day will be held alongside the Streets Alive! Celebration in the parking
lot of Boynton Middle School.  Now in its third year, Streets Alive! is in
celebration of the reclaiming of streets as public space for more than just
cars, and has included everything from a bike rodeo to tai chi demonstrations
to TCAT bus exhibitions.

“Because of scheduling conflicts (and to avoid another potentially cold April
Sunday!), we decided to partner up with the Streets Alive! team to take
advantage of the large and diverse audience their event attracts.  We will
enjoy opportunities for our usual networking and catching up with fellow
sustainability-minded colleagues, as well as reaching new families and
community residents.  We hope that you will return again to enrich our
gathering with information and displays on your work in sustainability.

“We also invite your active participation in planning for this and future Earth
Days. If you would like to be a part of the planning process, there is space on
the registration form to indicate that you wish to receive more information.
Examples of contributions include media/public relations, set up or cleanup
crew, coordination of a special performance and so on. The next meeting will be
held on the 16th of April at Tompkins County Cooperative Extension from 3-5 p.m.

“To offset insurance and other costs, we ask for a sliding scale registration
fee of $10.00-$50.00 from each participating non-profit group. For businesses
and government entities, we ask $25 as a starting point. Exhibitors will need
to bring their own pop-up tents, tables and chairs. Checks or money orders
should be made out to Sustainable Tompkins, noted as “Earth Day 2014” and
mailed, along with the application form, to Sustainable Tompkins, Attn: Joey
Diana Gates, 109 S. Albany St., Ithaca, NY 14850. Exhibitors can obtain forms
from and email them to Joey at: solkitch...@gmail.com and pay at Earth Day at
check in.”

=====

Visit Montezuma Wildlife Refuge, north end of Cayuga Lake:
http://www.fws.gov/refuge/montezuma/

Join Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands Complex & learn about volunteer events:
http://www.friendsofmontezuma.org/

====

Embrace the Lake: Is your group interested in spring cleaning a portion of the
lakeshore, or along a creek? The Cayuga Lake Watershed Network provides free
gloves, trash bags, posters, publicity, and help with getting the trash picked
up afterwards for proper disposal. Seeking groups all around the lake!
Community, church/faith, Scout, schools: contact stew...@cayugalake.org to get
started. Best in April and May. Sponsored by the Cayuga Lake Watershed Network.
Watch for a listing of cleanups soon – Cornell Plantations, Dryden, Aurora,
more.

====

May 3 & 27: LANSING SPRING WORKSHOP SERIES ON RENEWABLE ENERGY

Lansing Communergy, a group of Lansing residents organized by Sustainable
Tompkins <http://sustainabletompkins.org/> , has been meeting since last August
to explore various types of locally-owned renewable energy systems.  This
spring they are hosting a series of public lectures on solar hot water,
microhydro systems, and reducing household electricity usage prior to sizing a
solar electric system.

The first event was March 25, to hear Keith Liblick of Renovus Energy
<http://renovusenergy.com/>  on the topic of converting domestic hot water
systems to solar energy. One of the easiest and lowest cost ways to go solar,
the systems collect heat year-round to drastically reduce the fossil fuel
energy used by your water heater.

On Saturday, May 3, we will host a lecture and site visit on microhydro systems
from 12:30-5:00 pm.  We’ll begin with a brown bag lunch at the Lansing
Community Center featuring Professor Phil Hofmeyer of the Renewable Energy
Training Center at SUNY Morrisville.  Phil and his students have installed 4
microhydro systems in Madison County, and have several more underway.   After
the lecture and Q&A session on the basics of microhydro systems, we will tour
two potential sites on Gulf Creek and two sites in the Salmon Creek watershed
near Ludlowville.

The final workshop on Tuesday, May 27 (7-9 pm at the Lansing Community Center)
will explore how to reduce electricity consumption through conservation and
efficiency measures before investing in a solar electric (PV) system.  Solar
panel prices are lower than ever and incentives and tax credits remain high, so
this is a great time to get off fossil fuels for your home electric needs.
However, it would be wasteful to spend more money and consume more natural
resources than necessary to provide lighting and power to your appliances using
solar energy.  This workshop will feature Cheryl Shields of Friedman Electric
to share the latest in LED lighting, and Gay Nicholson of Sustainable Tompkins
on reducing phantom load and switching to high efficiency equipment.

For more information, email g...@sustainabletompkins.org.

=====

Watch for our next events list soon. Seeking hydrilla hunters now, for August
and beyond.

Send, to share, your upcoming events relating even tangentially to water:
stew...@cayugalake.org

YýY “It takes a Network to protect a watershed!” www.cayugalake.org & every
last one of us.

##

---
is active.

For more information about sustainability in the Tompkins County area, please
visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
If you have questions about this list please contact the list manager, Tom
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.