Non-whites will be denied admission?

From: bounce-119564398-12863...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-119564398-12863...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of David Peter
McCobb
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 10:41 AM
To: SUSTAINABLE_TOMPKINS-L
Subject: Re: [sustainable_tompkins-l] Fw: TONIGHT: Invitatation

Why not just say people, and let it appeal to whoever is interested?

I personally resent being called white, and can't help hearing it as racist.

David

David P. McCobb, Ph.D.

Neurobiology and Behavior

Cornell University

Ithaca, NY 14853

On Aug 24, 2015, at 9:09 AM, Elan Shapiro <elanshapiro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Why whites?

 Hi Dave
I take it as a given that race is an ever shifting social construct,
nonetheless used to create enormous negative impact on most of the world's
people.  Most  people of color I know who work for racial justice recognize
the value of whites (also a social construct) educating whites for a
significant part of the struggle because its simply too exhausting and
overwhelming for people of color to continuously be called on to pierce the
layers of miseducation, denial of gross disadvantage that they experience,
and of the subliminal or blatant bias that the vast majority of US citizens
carry. The message to me is : First, once you "get it" , work on your own
people, and use your advantages constructively for the benefit of all who
are less advantaged. Be in solidarity and support when needed and asked for,
but most of all communicate the urgency, outrageous unfairness, and the
avenues for structural and systemic change,  to people who you can most
influence.

also see, in the message that went out:

Why so white?

We know, we know. The notion of showing up to a space that is intentionally
held for anti-racist white folks can seem counter-intuitive, and awkward. To
learn more about the strategy behind this, read about SURJ's dedication to
accountability <http://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/accountability>
here. <http://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/accountability>

In the words of one SURJ Ithaca member, "In my life's work, this has been
the first time I have ever been a part of a group that is intentionally
built for white folks who are interested in helping move towards a racially
just society. My personal life is far more diverse than that, so the concept
did feel awkward to me at first. But after being a part of so many racial
justice groups that ended up being dominated/distracted by well-intentioned
white folks, I try to listen to my brothers & sisters of color, who, in my
world, have been very encouraging of white folks to find their own
spaces/angles to do this work from. There are ways for us to all work
together, and respect the different angles we are working from.

SURJ's work is informed by freedom fighters of color, and has a powerful
alliance with the current Black Lives Matter movement. For instance, at the
recent Black Lives Convening conference in Cleveland,
<http://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/cleveland> this message from SURJ
was posted & shared on their website. As someone who deeply respects the
powerful origins of the BLM movement, I also respect the white counterpart
organization that they have thoughtfully collaborated with, and trust that
as a space where I can do my best work."

Thanks for listening

Elan Shapiro

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 8:07 AM, David Peter McCobb <d...@cornell.edu>