The TPP and similar deals are not just about “trade” (although the press
release below is from a free trade organization). “The administration already
[knows] there’s public opposition to TPP” but still wants to push it through.

We can kiss all our great efforts — on sustainability, home rule, having
sovereignty over our own bodies, keeping multinational corporations from
breaking laws and regulations we’ve put in place to protect our health,
environment, and properties, keeping control over our own communities, keeping
health care costs down, protecting free speech, ensuring some semblance of
privacy, being able to use copyrighted materials in education, having materials
pass into public domain in 50 years (changing to 70 in TPP), and much more —
goodbye if the TPP goes through.

So please let’s step up pressure on our House and Senate representatives to
actively oppose it.

Find your Senator and representative in the House
here<https://www.congress.gov/members>.

LEARN ABOUT BILLS BEFORE CONGRESS AT GOVTRACK.US<https://www.govtrack.us/#>
(FORMERLY OPENCONGRESS).

Inside U.S. Trade - 03/11/2016 (subscription needed to access full documents)
Earnest Signals Obama Still Willing To Push TPP Despite Opposition From
Sanders,
Clinton<http://insidetrade.com/content/earnest-signals-obama-still-willing-push-tpp-despite-opposition-sanders-clinton>

March 10, 2016

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest this week signaled President Obama is
determined to push forward with his plan to seek a congressional vote this year
on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) despite presidential candidates from
both political parties lambasting the deal on the campaign trail.

"We're getting close to a situation where we will be asking the Congress to
pass" TPP, Earnest said in a March 9 press briefing. He did so in response to a
question about whether the administration needed to make a stronger case for
TPP in light of voters' skepticism of trade agreements.

Earnest spoke after Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) upset Hillary Clinton in the
Michigan Democratic primary on March 8 after making his opposition to trade
agreements a key issue in the state.

would not change President Obama's strategy of how to get TPP to a floor vote,
saying the administration already knew there was public opposition to TPP,
especially in Michigan.

"I just don't think the results in Michigan tell us something that we didn't
already know about the public's view of this, particularly in the state of
Michigan," he said.

But lobbyists this week predicted that the anti-trade sentiment bubbling across
the country may pressure lawmakers up for re-election to oppose TPP,
endangering its prospects for passage in Congress this year.

Sanders throughout his campaign has proclaimed himself as having a stronger
record than Clinton in opposing trade deals and in debates has highlighted his
opposition to the North American Free Trade Agreement and granting China
most-favored nation status to draw contrast between himself and Clinton --
whose husband pushed both deals when he was president.

Earnest argued that Democratic opposition to free trade deals was expected
based on the party's historical stance and that the administration is working
hard to convince some members of the party that TPP is worth supporting on its
merits.

"I recognize that [making the economic case for TPP] is not going to
immediately overcome the decades of Democratic Party orthodoxy when it comes to
opposing trade," Earnest said during the March 9 briefing. "But for people who
are willing to consider this specific trade agreement on the merits, there's no
mystery why the President and at least some Democrats in Congress are
supportive of it. And we're going to continue to make that case across the
country."

On March 7, Earnest argued that President Obama managed to round up enough
votes to secure congressional approval of trade promotion authority (TPA) and
during that time presidential campaigns were already taking aim at TPP. He also
suggested that the administration can make a more persuasive argument for TPP
than TPA because it can point to tangible benefits that would accrue to
lawmakers' constituents under the trade deal.

Japan Sends TPP, Related Bills To Diet; Expects Approval By End Of
June<http://insidetrade.com/daily-news/japan-sends-tpp-related-bills-diet-expects-approval-end-june>

The government of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on March 8 sent the Trans-Pacific
Partnership (TPP) agreement and a related bill to the Japanese Diet and expects
to get approval before the Diet wraps up its session at the end of June,
although it is hoping for action as early as late April, according to the
country's deputy chief negotiator for TPP.

Bipartisan Group Of 14 Senators Urges Financial Services Data Fix In
TPP<http://insidetrade.com/daily-news/bipartisan-group-14-senators-urges-financial-services-data-fix-tpp>

A bipartisan group of 14 senators, including six Democrats whose votes would
likely be needed to pass the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), has urged
Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew and trade officials to fix the exclusion of
financial services from a ban on local data storage requirements otherwise
applicable in the agreement.

Malmstrom Seeks TTIP Deal This Year, But Says It Must Deliver On EU
Priorities<http://insidetrade.com/daily-news/malmstrom-seeks-ttip-deal-year-says-it-must-deliver-eu-priorities>

European Union Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom on Wednesday (March 9)
emphasized that efforts to conclude a Transatlantic Trade and Investment
Partnership (TTIP) this year cannot be successful without securing some of the
key EU priorities, such as more access to the U.S. government procurement
market, more protection for food names known as geographical indications (GIs),
and an innovative regulatory cooperation chapter.

For more information about sustainability in the Tompkins County area, please
visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
If you have questions about this list please contact the list manager, Tom
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.