Within the past year, both Part-Time and Full-Time Contingent Faculty at Ithaca
College (IC) unionized with SEIU200 United as their union. ('Contingent
faculty' are non-tenure track college teachers. At IC, they earn poverty wages,
receive no health benefits, and must re-apply for their job every year.)
Negotiations have begun in recent months and both PTers and FTers have been
very disappointed with initial proposals from the IC Administration.

The Ithaca College Contingent Faculty Union is requesting a large community
presence of support at a Rally at Ithaca College. The Rally will be this coming
Wednesday, October 19th, at 6 p.m. at Free Speech Rock on the IC Campus, which
is on the IC Quad near Campus Center. Please join the Tompkins County Workers'
Center and many local unions who will be there in solidarity!

If you're able to make the Rally, please respond to this email, or sign-in to
the Facebook event. Also watch the excellent 7 minute video created by students
from IC Students for Labor Action for some of the reasons Contingent Faculty
have unionized in the first place.
Says Full-Time IC Contingent Faculty Member, Megan Graham:
"The 19th is especially important because the Ithaca College Board of Trustees
will be in town, and is going to be enjoying a fancy cocktail hour and dinner
in the Campus Center at that time. We want to make it clear to them how
important this issue is on campus and how much support we have. The more people
we have at this rally, the stronger that message will be."
"We are holding this rally with faculty, students, staff, and community allies
because the administration has been stonewalling us in bargaining - asking for
long dialogues that take up multiple sessions and then coming back with no
counter-proposals. Our proposals on the most important topics - wages,
benefits, and length of appointments for faculty - went unanswered for months,
after which they hastily drew up a proposal offering a 0.25% wage increase from
what they'd offered before (1.75%, for a grand total of 2% - not even enough to
make up for our lack of cost of living increases the last six years). Suffice
it to say, we walked out of bargaining. Now we want to demonstrate our strength
and the strength of the community behind us to force them to come to the table
with real proposals."
 1/3 of all faculty at IC are "part time", yet their salaries account for just
1% of the college budget. IC Contingent Faculty are paid poverty wages, receive
no health benefits, and must re-apply for their job every year. Many contingent
faculty have trouble planning their lives and making ends meet.
visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.