____________________________________
 From: ryoun...@stny.rr.com
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Sent:  10/12/2016 1:26:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Fw: O'Mara's  Foundation

Just sent in to local papers.  How about all of us writing  articles before
the election?

 What Foundation?

Senator O'Mara says the  southern tier has a strong foundation upon which
to build. Chemung County is  at the bottom of the heap in public health;
number 60 out of 62 counties in  N.Y. State. Cornell Cooperative Extension of
Chemung County is seeking grant  funding to start a poverty reduction program
next summer in one Elmira  neighborhood. This program is said to be working
in developing countries  such as Paraguay. If granted, this is the first
time it will be tried in the  U.S.A. An October sixth newspaper article about “
The State of the Child in  Chemung County” indicates that people have jobs
but the jobs do not pay  enough to keep it together even when both partners
are working. Children are  suffering here physically and emotionally.
We have just made it  through the hottest summer ever recorded on Planet
Earth since 1880 when  global climate records were started. A serious drought
that devastated many  of our farms has ensued. I will never forget the town
hall meeting in Horse  heads where Mr. O'Mara and Mr. Friend told us that
Climate Change was  probably not a reality and if it was, had not been caused
by human behavior.  Peer reviewed science has no impact on their thinking.
There are hundreds of  thousands of tons of frack waste pouring into N.Y.
State; much of it landing  in the Chemung County landfill. Mr. O'Mara and Mr.
Friend have not raised a  finger in protest. Mr. O'Mara chairs the N.Y.
State Senate Environmental  Conservation Committee thanks to Dean Skelos, and
yet two years ago his  swing vote killed a bill that would have banned
fracking waste imports. This  year he has disallowed the Environmental
Conservation Committee from voting  on a bill that would have required frack
waste to
be regulated as hazardous  if it met health risk criteria. Tom O'Mara was a
strong opponent of the  statewide fracking ban and is a salaried partner at
Barclay Damon, a large  law firm with many clients in the fracking, waste
disposal, pipeline, and  power generation industries. It would be interesting
to know how many of the  land owners with fracking contracts who got stiffed
by the gas companies for  royalties unpaid have been helped by the Barclay
Damon law firm. Facts are  from Peter Mantius, an excellent investigative
reporter.
These problems do not  make for a strong foundation. Mr. O'Mara and Mr.
Friend have forgotten what  really forms a strong foundation. Healthy children
with good quality  schools, living wage jobs, clean air and water
uncontaminted with microbeads  and toxic waste leaking from dumps, and energy
efficiency built into every  home make for strong foundations of communities.
As our
present  representatives, we wish they were better acquainted with these
concepts.  Since they are not, we are thankful to have good alternatives to
vote for on  November 8th.
Ruth S.  Young
Horseheads  resident

For more information about sustainability in the Tompkins County area, please
visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
If you have questions about this list please contact the list manager, Tom
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.