Dear Friends and Colleagues

After going to a public meeting organised by NYSEG at the Tompkins County
library last month I started to wonder if smart meters were not going to be the
new fracking. You may recall that fracking was initially sold as a green energy
source and some people were initially persuaded. My concerns about smart meters
were greatly increased when NYSEG representatives lied to us at the meeting
about multiple aspects of their operations, including what NYSEG would do with
the household information they collected and the amounts of EMFs people would
receive. I shared my impressions of that meeting with friends and neighbours
(available on request).

The documentary below about smart meters is available for public viewing but
only until Aug 11. I have seen it. It makes a strong case for not wanting a
meter and that their installation has nothing to do with green energy or power
efficiency, which these meters will do nothing for, but that the driving forces
are instead financial gains and the monitoring of people's homes for commercial
and non-commercial reasons. Most concerning of all perhaps is that these smart
meters are intended to prevent private energy independence via renewables which
would otherwise destroy NYSEG's business model. As a biologist I also encourage
people to take the health concerns seriously. There is ample evidence from the
scientific literature to be very seriously concerned. I know this may seem like
one more thing to worry about, but the solutions are quite easy.

The first step is to opt out of NYSEG's current installation program.

Yours
Jonathan Latham

Begin forwarded message:

visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/