Hi Irene

Apologies for resending the previous email.
Thanks for the question. Here is the letter I shared with Forest Home residents
and some others. I have removed the name of the person it was addressed to.:

"If you had come to the meeting you would have discovered rather a different
story than "no issues".
The health expert, Dr Bill Bailey, an editor of "Health Physics", claimed that
the meter would fire "once or a few times per day" and would have a duration of
a few milliseconds. After I tried to get clarification on this another NYSEG
official said 24 times per day (under normal conditions) and a third said the
daily duration would be three minutes. Dr Bailey did accept that the daily
dose, of a meter functioning normally and at maximum power would give 53% of
the FCC recommended acceptable limit. Many scientists believe (and he accepted
this belief) that the FCC standard is ridiculously high. It basically assumes
that the only possible harm from EMF is by heating, which is not what a very
large body of research shows. In other words you may be about to get a very
high dose, however, the NYSEG representatives at the meeting could not get
their story straight and could not agree amongst themselves, even when pressed.
Since the question of how much dose we will receive is rather a fundamental
one, which Bailey came all the way from Maryland to explain, it was for me a
very disturbing thing to find that senior NYSEG people had no idea what the
doses would be and that Dr Bailey, who told us he sits on international safety
committees of various kinds, low balled exposures by many orders of magnitude
compared with what NYSEG told us.

The NYSEG story unravelled in other ways too. One of the speakers expressly
told us that NYSEG doesnt sell smart meter info, but I asked if they share it
with third parties and yes, they do.

Third, NYSEG told us they "dont keep personal information". But they do
identify your meter (otherwise they couldnt bill you) and that info is linked
to your name, address, etc, so this reassurance was entirely bogus.

Fourth, Dr Bailey argued there was no evidence of smart phone harm to
organisms, only cell phones. So I asked him what was the difference between
smart meter emissions and cell phone emissions and he accepted there were none.
Dr Bailey also never mentioned that the US National toxicology program has just
completed a $25million study on cell phones and showed elevated cancer levels
in male rats for cancers that are already associated in epidemiological studies
with cell phones. This study.the largest ever done, was called by the American
Cancer Society "a game changer".   I googled Dr Bailey just in responce to your
email. He never told us this last night but he works for Exponent, Inc.
Exponent are notorious defenders of corporations caught in scientific and PR
disasters. Chevron in the Amazon, Dioxins, asbestos, and so forth. Exponent, to
put it crudely, are professional liars.

The bottom line for me is that NYSEG and its representatives lied throughout
the meeting on all the most important points at issue, scientific and otherwise.

I find that deeply disturbing.
yours
Jonathan"

I concur with Irene that NYSEG appeared disorganized, especially on the health
aspects. I interpret this as meaning that NYSEG haven't seriously studied the
risks, because they are engineers, and were relying on the imported Dr Bailey
whose habit (coming from Exponent) is to lowball exposures, which rather took
NYSEG by surprise. But this is just a guess, obviously.-J

visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.