Hi all,
Here is the Facebook link for the rally Tuesday, and a flier attached, as
well as the text from the Facebook event. I am super inspired and I hope
all of us who can be there WILL be there!

https://www.facebook.com/events/174019256659191/

We are coming together on Tuesday, February 6th from 3:30pm to 5:00pm at
the Commons Bernie Milton Pavillion to stand in the face of federal and
local government, and to stand in solidarity with those suffering and
negatively impacted by government policies, processes, and practices. We
stand up to end the mass criminalization of our people. This is not an
opportunity to further your program or organizational goals or your
personal agendas. This is not an opportunity to invite each other to sit on
the 1,000,000 committees that exist in this community. This is not an
opportunity to partner on another band aid project that feeds the system.

Rather, this is an opportunity to link our movements at the root, expand
our knowledge, critically self-reflect, and clarify and shift our roles
necessary to accelerate change.

Most recently, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has detained more
of our community members and due to our sanctuary status we are being
targeted! The Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion (LEAD) is being planned
and implemented and gives more authority to police, but we demand
community-based alternatives! The Tompkins County Industrial Development
Agency (IDA) is supposed to be advancing job opportunities, health, general
prosperity and economic welfare, yet this money is padding the deep pockets
of wealthy developers while trapping our people in a cycle of poverty and
incarceration! Our families from Puerto Rico and Guam, territories of the
U.S., are forgotten as they continue to face violence and injustices and
are denied access and resources from the U.S. Government!

The history of immigration policies and criminal codes in the U.S. informs
us that the best interests of our people and our communities is not the
agenda of the government. For hundreds of years, we have been fighting for
equity, justice, and freedom for all. While there have been some gains and
moments of progress towards our goals, there is an ongoing cycle of
disenfranchisement, incarceration, and labor exploitation of our
communities. But this system of government definitely has served some, and
it continues a mass campaign of confusion, war, criminalization, division,
and fear, forcing many folks to become static bystanders and conformists
while the 1% remain in power.

The devastating hurricanes, earthquakes and wildfires in 2017 and 2018; the
mass deportation and tearing apart of families by ICE; the ongoing mass
extractions of natural resources; the continual violence and brutalization
of black and brown bodies by the police; white-supremacist terrorism that
goes unaddressed or called for what it is; the endless cycle of poverty and
imprisonment of black and brown and poor bodies and atrocious violation of
their human rights in prisons; the cultural genocide and brutal
displacement of indigenous peoples and theft of their communal lands
through the intentional violation of “Native American” treaties; the
enslavement and exploitation of farm and dairy workers; the violence and
discrimination against LGBTQ people, women, immigrants, and refugees; the
devastating child sexual exploitation; the murder, torture, and
imprisonment of human, environmental, and economic rights protectors; the
systemic racism that runs through the veins of institutions, corporations,
industries, and governments;the ongoing unconstitutional executive orders
coming from our very own White House Administration that deepens and widens
the wounds of hundreds of years of trauma from colonization, capitalism,
and imperialism.

This only scratches the surface, but it sure feels overwhelming! Which
issue do you support first? Which one is most important or pressing? How
can anyone fully grasp and understand the complexities and correlations of
these issues? Wait, let's just compartmentalize all this, so we can stay
sane...or shall I say, so we can all live in confusion. But it will be a
sane confusion…

This stops now. If we want a different outcome, we must think and practice
differently. ADD YOUR HASHTAG!

#ICEOUTOFTURTLEISLAND
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/iceoutofturtleisland>
#BLACKLIVESMATTER <https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/blacklivesmatter>
#UNDOCUMENTEDUNAFRAID
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/undocumentedunafraid>
#NOWALLNOBAN <https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/nowallnoban>
#MNIWICONI <https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/mniwiconi>
#NOMOREFAMILIESTORNAPART
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/nomorefamiliestornapart>
#Ni1 <https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/ni1>+

Coalitional Politics is SOLIDARITY

Elan Shapiro
Building Bridges Coalition
Frog's Way B&B
www.frogsway-bnb.com
607-592-8402
elanshapiro...@gmail.com
211 Rachel Carson Way
Ithaca, NY 14850

Things are not getting worse, they are getting uncovered. We must each hold
each other tight and continue to pull back the veil.

adrienne maree brown

visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.