Thanks Irene for the added information!  It is indeed super exciting and if
all goes well we will set president for municipalities throughout the state
and country!

Anna

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Irene Weiser <irene32...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Anna for all this amazing work!  You ROCK!!
>
> One minor tweaky revision to your description of NYSEG RFP.  The entire
> town of Lansing has been under a gas moratorium since 2015 - no new
> construction requiring gas because there isn't enough supply to meet demand
> on peak days  (like the super cold days in early January) for any more
> buildings than currently use gas in that area.
>
> NYSEG's Non Pipe alternative is a really exciting  - first of its kind in
> the State (!)  - request for proposals that NYSEG issued and the State
> Public Service Commission approved for non-pipe alternatives such as heat
> pumps and building energy efficiency to meet thermal demand in the entire
> Town of Lansing - (not just the industrial park area).
>
> Irene Weiser
> irene32...@gmail.com
> Brooktondale, NY
> 607-539-6856 <(607)%20539-6856>
>
> *Joy to the world*
> *All the boys and girls*
> *Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea*
> *Joy to you and me. *[image: šŸø]
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:29 PM, Anna Kelles <annakel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As some of you may know I have been appointed this year as the chair of
>> the Planning Development and Environmental Quality (PDEQ) committee. Last
>> Monday three resolutions were voted out of the PDEQ committee that will be
>> discussed and in most cases voted on tonight by the full legislature at our
>> bimonthly meeting from starting at 5:30pm (the meeting starts with
>> privilege of the public to speak!) at 121 E. Court St. in the Legislative
>> Chambers on the second floor.
>>
>> The first is a resolution in opposition to the proposed large scale
>> incinerator in Romulus, Seneca County that is just North of the town of
>> Ulysses. I created an submitted this updated resolution from a template
>> created by members of Gas Free Seneca. I'm happy to answer any questions
>> anyone has but in a nutshell the garbage would be shipped by hundreds of
>> trucks a day from downstate, burned creating significant air pollution very
>> near an elementary school and two correctional facilities as well as nearby
>> towns and wineries, created about 52 truckloads of toxic ash daily that
>> would need to be landfilled locally, and would withdraw 445,000 gallons
>> daily from Seneca Lake.
>>
>> A resolution urging the state to pass a plastic bag ban with an
>> additional 5 cent fee of paper bags passed. However, breaking news is that
>> a few days before the committee vote a bill in the senate and an equivalent
>> bill in the assembly were introduced that are more comprehensive than our
>> resolution (here is a link to the senate bill:
>> http://legislation.nysenate.gov/pdf/bills/2017/S7760). These bills, if
>> approved, would ban both plastic and paper (paper bag production and
>> transport have an equal to or even greater carbon footprint than plastic).
> [...]

For more information about sustainability in the Tompkins County area, please
visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
If you have questions about this list please contact the list manager, Tom
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.