Thanks, Hillary. You’re absolutely right about remaining work. I’ll write to
our Albany Reps.
Chuck

Sent from my iPhone

On May 16, 2018, at 9:32 AM, Hilary Lambert
<stew...@cayugalake.org<mailto:stew...@cayugalake.org>> wrote:

Hi:
This good statement by Gov Cuomo is in fact just a first step.
It encourages legislators to step out of the shadows and support a necessary
bill.
Almost all of the work to get that bill made into law this session still lies
ahead.

I went to Albany yesterday with folks mostly from Seneca Lake (Cayuga - we must
do better!!) to ask legislators to support this bill, to return local control
by municipalities over proposed Article 10 energy projects like this proposed
trash incinerator project - in this case, to the town of Romulus and Seneca
County.
Home rule is essential to NYS and it needs to apply to Article 10 projects.

The developers of the proposed incinerator (the mysterious Circular EnerG) did
not like the reception they were getting via the local permitting process in
Romulus and Seneca County, so they withdrew from that and went to the
state-level Article 10 process, maintaining that their imported-from-NYC trash
burning plant is a “renewable energy” facility — thus evading the local
community’s negative response to this project being sited 3200 feet from a
school, in between our two lakes, hundreds more garbage trucks daily, affecting
air quality and water quality, wineries, already harming real estate values -
etc.

A press conference  was held yesterday morning in the Legislative Office
Building, organized by Yvonne Taylor, Joseph Campbell, and MaryAnn Kowalski of
the (new) Seneca Lake Guardian organization, and Judith Enck, retired US EPA
admin for our region. Well attended, and boosted by the news of Cuomo’s
statement.
Legislative participants/cosponsors: Pam Helming;  Brian Kolb, Phil Palmesano,
Tom O’Mara, Mike Kusak.
If you are a constituent, please thank them.
Live stream of the press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGVQvZcimg&feature=share

Our teams (again, thanks to Seneca Lake Guardian and allies) then spread out to
present our request for support of the two bills - state assembly and senate -
to numerous legislators.
A long day, lots of driving, really worth it.

(Note that I was there as private resident, not as exec director of the CLWN,
because our org’s tax status does not allow lobbying.)

PLEASE understand that Gov Cuomo saying something encouraging is JUST THE START
- and PLEASE help if you are asked to do so.
THIS AFFECTS Cayuga Lake as much as it does Seneca - and we all need to do our
share.

For more info go to Seneca Lake Guardians website
https://senecalakeguardian.org/
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SenecaLakeGuardian/

Thanks
HL
Hilary Lambert
Steward/Executive Director
Cayuga Lake Watershed Network
POB 348 Aurora NY 13026

“It takes a Network to protect a watershed!”

stew...@cayugalake.org<mailto:stew...@cayugalake.org>
www.cayugalake.org<http://www.cayugalake.org>

On May 15, 2018, at 3:11 PM, Gay Nicholson