These results just in! -- adding a little methanol to your ethanol allows
you to use (slightly) wet ethanol.

As some of you know, I've been using a 7:1 mix of absolute ethanol:methanol
to get good separation with WVO (difficult with pure ethanol). Now I'm
enjoying some much cleaner oil (flush oil from Spectrum Organics,
thanks be to Laurie....), so I started wondering if I could relax the dryness
requirement a bit.

Sure enough -- with the clean oil, the ethanol only has to be 98% dry IF
you mix it 6:1 with methanol. The same 98% ethanol with no added methanol
fails to give glycerine separation.

Also, 95% ethanol doesn't work even when mixed 6:1 with methanol
(tho probly with ENOUGH methanol it could).

Not earth-shattering, since 98% still requires drying, but not as much as
100%!

BTW, oil is 0.4 ml titer, alcohol mix is used 275ml per liter of oil, and
catalyst is KOH, 10g per liter of oil.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!