In a fit of insomnia last night I realised that the formula I gave
for sizing the hp requirement was a load of old bollocks. ie
incorrect. It should read : 11000/750/.8 = about 18.5 hp required.

My apologies.
JS.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "indo2002nz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Justin
>
> You will find that in 99% of cases, fixed generating powerplants
> above a certain size are almost exclusively diesel powered. That
> size I'm guessing now, probably around 15KVA. Diesel motors make
> good usable power at 1500rpm. I suggest that you are barking up
the
> wrong tree so to speak looking for a petrol engine, go and find a
> small diesel engine of the appropriate size and run it on
> biodiesel.It needs to be rated at about 80% of the required power
> output. Diesels need to work hard to be reliable. So for your
> alternator you want a diesel motor hp about 11000/750 * 80%
(around
> 12hp I think). The 1500 rpm is significant because the frequency
(Hz)
> of the output alternating voltage is directly proportional to the
> speed of rotation of the alternator. With most fixed AC generating
> plant 1500rpm = 50Hz, that is the case with your alternator since
> you mention the requirement for 1500 rpm. Diesel engines are
easily
> governed, I never got a grasp of the theory here but I think that
> the engine speed control is a function of the fuel pump/fuel rack
> function versus engine load. Someone else may be able to clarify
> this for you. Certainly diesel engines are far more stable in
terms
> of engine speed control, reliability, and longevity for the
function
> that you envisage.
> You can build a steel frame and direct connect the diesel flywheel
> to the alternator input shaft. Take care with the alignment
between
> the two, it has to be very precise to avoid bearing damage in both
> the engine and alternator. You make this adjustment with steel
shim
> stock beneath the mounting brackets.
>
> Motors to search for - 1 & 2 cylinder Yanmar, Lister, Buhk,
> Isuzu,Volvo,BMW etc. All expensive to buy new but theres always a
> bargain to be had if you are resorceful. Check out the second hand
> marine market if you live near the sea.
>
> Best regards
> John Smith.
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Justin Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have just aquired a 11KVA alternator. I now need an engine to
> turn the
> > alternator. I would like to use a petrol engine. BUT there are
> several
> > problems(so I can change it over to ethenol when every thing is
> working :) ).
> >
> > The engine must run at 1500 rpm.  From what I have gathered
there
> is not much
> > power available from a petrol engine at this rpm. I have spent
> several hours
> > looking on the internet for  power curves for 1.6L to 3L engines
> but have not
> [...]

FIND OLD SCHOOL FRIENDS and OLD FLAMES
Click here to start your search at Reunion.com today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NFsLKA/Dn2DAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM