  From: Keith Addison
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 11:12 AM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: Cellulose-Alcohol story.

  Hello Art

  >Keith,
  >
  >I join your efforts!

  Excellent!

  >I am the strongest proponent of returning biomass to soil as soil
  >amendment.  I began the world's largest composting program twelve
  >years ago.  Now it is returning 1.2 million tons per year of ag
  >wastes back to farmland as soil amendment each year.

  You'll go straight to heaven. I've never stopped making compost in
  the last 24 years, no matter where I've been, even in a small 19th
  floor flat without a balcony in urban Hong Kong. (But I'm not sure
  I'll go straight to heaven!)

  >Please consider that converting the carbon molecule in cellulose
  >from a high grade ethanol feedstock to a lower grade soil amendment
  >will work only if the ethanol wastes are taken back to the area
  >where the crops were produced.

  Yes. We rant about the ridiculous "food miles" issue here every now
  and then, and more often about the need for localisation of both food
  and fuel production (closely related issues).

  >The farmer enters an unspoken agreement with nature that, if a crop
  >is produced, the residues must be put back into the soil to
  >regenerate the soil.  We are now in a society where wastes can be
  >moved hundreds of miles from their production location and never
  >make it back.

  Thousands of miles. Average distance from farm to supermarket in the
  US is more than a thouand miles, according to one estimate I saw.
  Imports aside.

  >Landfills are a classic example.
  >
  >I am on a personal mission to recover organic wastes currently going
  >into landfills first as biogas and return those residues to soil as
  >soil amendment.  Keep organics out of the landfill completely - they
  >are a soil resource and a landfill is a needless waste of the
  >product.

  Hear hear!

  >Biogas biology has had a recent revolution making the economics much
  >more favorable and the gas can easily be burned in stationary diesel
  >engines to produce electricity and recoverable heat energy.
  >
  >I have a national model which takes each community water treatment
  >biodigester and converts it into an improved biogas and soil
  >amendment producer from biosolids and food wastes.
  >
  >Keep blowing the soil health/fertility/sustainability bugle and I
  >will form up with you.

  Okay, good. I never stop blowing it, sounds like you don't either -
  and it's NOT off-topic on a biofuels list! But, people either get it
  or they don't, as you can see. Previous time I did it was over the
  fuel from pig manure thing, and got told I hadn't presented any
  scientific evidence. :-/

  Liebig debunked himself more than a century ago, but it's still gospel, eh?

  Do you have a website Art?

  Best wishes

  Keith

  >Art Krenzel, P.E.