J.D, thanks a lot for the response.

The truck is indeed an F250, '85 with the 5.9L engine. I like your
assessment. The timing is the only one of the three causes that I could
see being related to the fuel. I will keep loggin more miles and see if
the problem keeps up. I think today I'll take a drive down to Reno to
make sure the engine is good and warm. I think I will wait until I have
developed a more reliable bioDiesel supply and then have the engine
tuned and timed around that fuel. I'm also skeptical of this batch of
fuel. We'll see how the smoke goes if I can get some commercial B100 to
rule out fuel impurity issues. The guy who made my fuel usually only
washes batches that are going into his girlfriend's new Jetta, so I
can't rule the fuel out.

Thanks for the response,
Steve

Steve Murphy