> J.D, thanks a lot for the response.
> OK,
You mean a 6.9 engine though, unless you have done a Cummins conversion.
I have an '86 with the 6.9 and it smoke like that before I got teh timing
set right.  Another thing is, when they smoke its like a lot of the old
OTR Cummins L-10s and Macks, it lets out a good stream of bluish/black
smoke.  At least it looks blue from the drivers seat, but in the pass seat
or in another car, you can tell that it is indeed gray/black smoke.  This
makes it a very good idea to convert them to non-fossil fuel to reduce
pollution.  I hate to say it, but another thing to consider is the
condition of the fuel injectors and injection pump.  These engines are
great, but the fuel system leaves much to be desired ):.  If you have a
good engine and your temp is good, it HAS top be fuel related.
Good Luck,
J.D.