> Ok, here is my dilema, I am researching wether to convert my 1985
> Chevy Blazer 6.2 to burn alternative fuels such as biodiesel, SVO and
> WVO. I have learned alot about the fuels, processes and the
> equipment, but ran into a snag about the viability of my vehicle for
> this project. Below you will find a couple short excerpt taken from
> different sources which have widely differing opinions on whether my
> vehicle is a good candidate for this transformation. Please read......
>
> PRO OPINION:
> These motors are solid and reliable (when maintained) to well over
> 300,000 miles. As with any motor during the course of its
> implementation, bugs are identified (injection pump for example) and
> corrected. One must remember that these problems are not at the sole
> or exclusive fault of GM. The Stanadyne DB2 injection pump has
> undergone several improvements during its use, and reliability has
> increased.
>
> Some notable pluses about the 6.2L Detroit diesel:
>
> It is the least expensive diesel to rebuild or replace.
> It features the least expensive injector pump to rebuild or replace.
> It is the least expensive diesel oil change.
> They are known for excellent fuel economy.
> It is the easiest to convert to SVO or Bio-diesel.
> It produces the largest gains from aftermarket upgrades
>
> CON OPINION:
> 2We do not suggest the conversion of engines equipped with
> distributor-type injection pumps manufactured by DELPHI, LUCAS, CAV,
> Stanadyne and Roto-Diesel.
>
> Best I can tell the pump in my vehicle is a "distributor type"
> Stanadyne pump. If I am wrong on that point, someone please correct
> me! Thanks for any info or especially experiences if anyone is
> already burning these fuels using a motor and pump similar to mine,
> thanks again!!!
> Problem with this injection pump, its not as sturdy as the Bosch inline
pumps that a lot of these biofuelers with Mercedes and VW diesels are
familiar with.  They have a lot opf wear parts that are far from heavy
duty.  Our Ford 6.9 and 7.3 IDIs have the same DB2 pump,  except it
turns the opposite way in the IH/Ford diesels as Chevy/Detroits.  That
said, we have a few folks over at the Diesel Stop running WVO/SVO in 7.3
and 6.9 IDIs.  Some of them have a lot of miles, but will the pumps
last?  At worst, your're risking a $300 injection pump.  Although I like
IH diesels myself, I will say that the 6.2 Detroit is a tough engine and
will give you many trouble free miles if you keep up on the maintenance.
 I woukd make and run biodiesel myself, since this is already an iffy
pump and WVO is not tried and true with them.  Luck,
J.D.