At 06:44 AM 6/13/2004, you wrote:
>Instead of considering how we can continue to drive our behemoths (like 6
>litre Fords or ancient Hillmans) on a substitute for dino fuel, just
>consider how far you could go with say a recliner bike with a 50cc or
>smaller assist running from say a 5 litre tank of liquid propane behind the
>seat.

Unfortunately, some of us have to have larger vehicles.  I can not take
produce to market, or cows or sheep to the processor on a bicycle.  If you
live in an urban area, the bicycle or small scooter is a great idea, but
for those of us that are rural,  we do need our larger
vehicles.  Especially those of us that produce food, as it does not do much
good if we can't get the food to market.

I have considered buying a motorcycle to get around and hopefully save
fuel.  When I took a good look at where and when I drive, I realized that I
always have to pick up more stuff than will fit on a motorcycle.  I suppose
if I had more of a social life and just went visiting or such, the smaller
vehicle would be worth it, but one must take into account the energy cost
of building vehicles as well.

I do use a Honda civic when I can, and my ford ranger the rest of the
time.  I borrow a vehicle or rent one if I need something bigger which is
rare.  I have found that a trailer is a real energy saver as opposed to a
larger truck.

Bright Blessings,
Kim
Kim