>Ok, so you got a fancy dancy stove that uses biodiesel and we are
>now all drooling, sooooo, do you also have a contact adress/website
>where we can get one too? Please? Ta!
>
>Luc

:-) Drool away, see if I care! Heh!

But you're wrong, it's NOT fancy dancy, it's common-or-garden, that's
the whole point. Ramjee told me the price in India was US$8 equiv. We
could get them here in Japan, which exports them, but the price was
$100-$120, and that for a much smaller one, sort of camping style, a
toy, not kitchen style. It seems the ones they export to 3rd World
countries they don't supply on the domestic market, as so often with
Japanese companies, very frustrating.

The main reason we needed it was because so many people from 3rd
World countries have asked us for a solution for using
locally-produced biofuels, ie produced at village-level, in kerosene
cookers. We're much interested in this subject of 3rd World cooking,
there's quite a lot about it on our website. (In fact we're much more
interested in this than in helping people in the rich countries to
make biodiesel.) Solar box cookers are one solution:
http://journeytoforever.org/sc.html
Solar box cookers: Journey to Forever - how free solar energy is
saving lives, saving trees, fighting poverty and hunger in the Third
World, how to make a solar box cooker, school project

Improved woodstoves are another:

http://journeytoforever.org/at_woodfire.html
Wood fires that fit - Appropriate technology

http://journeytoforever.org/teststove.html
Cookstove for schools: Journey to Forever

Biogas is another. But there isn't one single complete solution.
There's still a lot of basic development work to be done on improved
woodstoves, especially on the IDD woodgas variety, one of the more
promising types. For instance, this was reported in New Scientist: "A
new kind of cooking stove for Kenya is an example. Some Englishmen
invented a stove that could be made of local clay and which was much
more economical of wood than what had been used. They went to Kenya
and persuaded the locals to build 250 of them over several years. At
the same time a kerosene stove made in Japan was introduced and
10,000 were sold through ordinary commercial channels. The kerosene
stove was not made locally, and the fuel had to be imported." A solar
cooker some Americans attempted to introduce in Lesotho was even more
of a flop. In both cases, it wasn't so much that the cookers were a
flop, the projects trying to introduce them were.

Anyway, since so many 3rd World people have demonstrated a preference
for kero stoves, one (of several) approaches is never mind the
stoves, how to substitute for the fuel? Basically, two problems, and
two possibilities. The problems are two kinds of stoves (at least) -
pressure stoves ("roarers") and wick stoves. The two main
possibilities are biodiesel and SVO. Biodiesel is technically the
better option, or at least the easier one. It's said biodiesel won't
travel up a wick, but it will, if you get the wick right, and the
level of fuel in the reservoir relative to the wick right too. So
will SVO, though it's not as easy and it helps to pre-heat it. Todd's
talked of a donut-shaped affair, which confirms what we've been
working on too. But first we needed to know whether biodiesel will
burn in an ordinary, generic-type, kero pressure stove without
modification. Thanks to Ramjee, we can say the answer is an
unqualified "Yes". Great news! Now, how to get it to burn SVO? Next
problem, followed by developing stoves or adaptations to existing
stoves for burning biodiesel and/or SVO in wick stoves.

On the ground, biodiesel is not the best solution - SVO will always
be more easily available at village-level than biodiesel will be. On
the other hand, there are many good reasons for starting biodiesel
projects, or biodiesel-SVO projects, in villages, with the usual
provisos of all development projects - see our Community development
pages:

http://journeytoforever.org/community.html
Community development: Journey to Forever

http://journeytoforever.org/community2.html
Community development - poverty and hunger: Journey to Forever

Hence our "fancy dancy" stove that uses biodiesel, Luc.

But so what, eh? - where can you buy one? These stoves below are sold
in the US, and advertised as also burning diesel fuel, they'll
certainly burn biodiesel very happily. I'm not sure offhand just who
sells them there, you'll have to search a bit. No use writing to
Lovson - well, you can try, but I couldn't get a response from them:
http://www.lovson.com/lightengineering.html
Brass Stoves,Petromax Lantern Exporters,Kerosene Stoves
India,Stoves,Kerosene Pressure Lantern,Indian Stoves,Kerosene
Lantern,Brass Stoves,Petromax Stoves Exporters,India

That "Petromax" Lantern by the way, is a generic Petromax-type
lantern, not a genuine Petromax. BriteLyt makes those (and they do
work on biodiesel, and on ethanol).
http://www.britelyt.com/
http://store.britelyt.com/

Anyway, don't you like our processor?