Dear Bob

>Dear Keith-
>
>Wow!  Just what I needed to hear.

:-) That's good! We do try...

>I've got a friend of mine pretty fired up about producing larger
>quantities for his many gearhead friends and local farmers, in
>larger quantities.

Such as?

>This guy makes his own hot rods, so I think, if I can get him the
>right info, we will be totally able to get this baby to fly.  Any
>info on plans for larger-capacity, self-made systems.

We don't do plans. Well, there's one excellent set of real genuine
plans in the boiler, but not quite ready yet, though I can report
that progress is being made. This is a great processor, complete
design specs, complete blueprints that you can take to an engineering
shop and say "Make it." The plans are finished but the text isn't.

That's not our work, we can't do stuff like that, professional. That
aside, I guess a reason we don't do plans is that everyone's needs
are different, and so are their resources, especially when it comes
to critically important stuff like junk. So what we have at our site
is a variety of different models that can be followed and adapted
according to what you want and what you've got. Whatever fits best
and works well. Part of what I said before about empowerment.

Anyway, you might have a look at this scheme of Todd's for an 833
Gallon Per Day Batch Plant:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor9.html

I think all this stuff is easily scaleable. Or run more than one
system in parallel, which is more or less what we do - one processor
and one wash-tank, plus a holding tank and another wash-tank to
double capacity. A lot of people do that, especially with wash-tanks.
A holding tank and multiple wash-tanks can really increase
production. It takes us five days to make a batch of biodiesel, from
start to finish. We could do it quite a lot faster if we wanted to
but we're comfortable with that. Using the full set-up we can
increase that to 5-6 batches a week, and have done so for seven or
eight weeks running. Very flexible.

>This guy is serious, does not want to skimp, and wants to do it
>right the first time.  But he is counting on me to obtain the right
>information.

There are a lot of experienced folks here who'll be happy to help you.

>Thank you so much for tempering your passion for this movement with
>not-so-common sense!

Oh, was it? Thankyou for saying so. I did get a little impatient,
finally, and no, I don't regret it. About time, probably.

Keep us posted Bob.

One bit of good advice - don't bother your head too much about
full-scale processors until you've made a few test batches and start
to get a feel for the process. It's often said it's not something
that lends itself well to theory. Some hands-on with the process
itself will give you insights on processors that you probably
wouldn't have had otherwise. Start here:
"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

Best wishes

Keith