Hello Brian

>Hello.  I am just starting in the production of my own
>biodiesel.  I have made several 1 liter test batches,

Good for you!

>but I'm not sure how to wash them.  I can't find
>anything online particular to small batches, but I
>have found sources that say bubblewashing will be too
>violent and cause emulsification.

People who say bubblewashing's too violent and set off on a quest for
ever-gentler washing methods (eg "mist" washing) have taken a wrong
turn before they start. Gentle washing techniques only mask the real
problem, which is that the stuff isn't processed properly in the
first place, they need to improve their processing.

Emulsification doesn't normally happen with well-processed fuel. It's
caused by either (or probably both) too much soap and poor
conversion, leaving diglycerides and monoglycerides, which are
emulsifiers. If your fuel's properly made you won't be able to
emulsify it no matter how violently you agitate it. That is what you
should be aiming for.

See "Emulsification" and "Emulsion Explained" here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash2.html#emuls

So, some suggestions. First, take about 150ml of your finished,
unwashed fuel and do this with it:
Quality testing
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#quality

Let us know what happens.

Second, you can bubblewash it, in a 2-litre PET bottle. From Todd:

>You can use the pop-up cap found on water bottles at your grocer as the
>"valve" for drainage.
>
>This turns any PET bottle into a separative funnel.
>
>It takes a little practice to get the "valve" to trickle properly, but it
>does work superbly.

More details on how that works here:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/13265/

You know those pop-up caps? Maybe made for cyclists or something.
We've used something a little different (I think), a screw-on pop-up
cap with a straw through the middle that goes right down to the
bottom of the bottle, with an air-inlet gap around the straw, and the
cap closing both the straw and the air-inlet. Do your bubblewash,
remove the air-stone and air-pipe from the pump, screw on the pop-up
cap, turn the bottle upside down and allow to settle. To drain off
the settled water, hold the bottle (still upside down) over the sink
or something, lift the cap; the water comes out the air-inlet gap,
air goes up the straw to the top (bottom) of the bottle, and draining
is smooth without any glug-glugging that'll splash and prevent a
clean separation. If you can't find something like this you could
easily rig it with some thin air-pipe and epoxy putty. If you can't
find an air-stone small enough to fit the neck of the PET bottle, cut
the neck off; when the wash is finished decant it all into another
PET bottle and use the pop-up cap as above.

HTH

Best wishes

Keith