Because it is simple, works well, is reliable, is compact and not
dependant on flash or bells and whistles to sell itself, it rates
top shelf in my mind.Something does not have to be stamped "made in
(pick your industrialsed country)" for it to be a quality product
and this is proof of that very thing.  Straight functionability is
always best, and that is something the "3rd" world definetly has up
on the "industrialised" world. I saw something similar in Fiji
during one of two pass-throughs in the 70's and didn't pay much
attention as I saw it as just the way they did things and it worked.
This is also where I was first introduced to the "hot" variety of
peppers as the Fijians as well as the large Indian population there
cook quite spicy.Very fond memories of that experience.
Children play in the streets with broom sticks and bottle caps and
have a great time at it, while most even speak three languages,
English, Fijian and the local Indian language (forgive me I am not
sure if it is Hindi or what, my ignorance).
Thanks for all that info, I shall avail myself of it's treasures
soon.
Your processor gave me some good ideas too (me likes) that could be
incoporated into my cabinet version of the "Appleseed" one. I could
convert the "wash Tank" into a settling tank and then have exterior
tanks for washing and have a real production thing going. The
organic farmer I deal with here has already said that we could work
something out for giving it (the processor-in-a-cabinet)a home so
perhaps we can work something out in that department as well. He has
the space that I do not which is why I designed the thing to fit
into a cabinet to start with due to my space limitations, although
the versatility of it allows for expansion and modifications into
something bigger with little effort.He has tractors that run on
diesel for his farming purposes and so, enter biodiesel and he is
already of a mindset for alternative solutions, so a win win
situation.
I already had the pre-heat tank idea incorporated (complete with
immersion heater), but the addition of a settling tank would
definetly be a boon and potentially open up volume possibilities as
well as solve the clogging of the pump issue as the settling would
be done away from it. Again, win win.

I too tried to contact the Petromax people in Florida without
response. I figure that if they don't have enough decency to answer
a simple email then should  have more pressing questions about
functionability then I will be on my own and that doesn't work for
me at all.$100.00US plus for a lantern with no customer service is
not the way I like to do things.

Anyway, great job on the processor and thanks for the info pages.

Luc
PS: I shall continue to drool in secret.....;)for now.

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ok, so you got a fancy dancy stove that uses biodiesel and we are
> >now all drooling, sooooo, do you also have a contact
adress/website
> >where we can get one too? Please? Ta!
> >
> >Luc
>
> :-) Drool away, see if I care! Heh!
>
> But you're wrong, it's NOT fancy dancy, it's common-or-garden,
that's
> the whole point. Ramjee told me the price in India was US$8 equiv.
We
> could get them here in Japan, which exports them, but the price
was
> $100-$120, and that for a much smaller one, sort of camping style,
> toy, not kitchen style. It seems the ones they export to 3rd World
> countries they don't supply on the domestic market, as so often
with
> Japanese companies, very frustrating.
>
> The main reason we needed it was because so many people from 3rd
> World countries have asked us for a solution for using
> locally-produced biofuels, ie produced at village-level, in
kerosene
> cookers. We're much interested in this subject of 3rd World
cooking,
> there's quite a lot about it on our website. (In fact we're much
more
> interested in this than in helping people in the rich countries to
> make biodiesel.) Solar box cookers are one solution:
> http://journeytoforever.org/sc.html
> Solar box cookers: Journey to Forever - how free solar energy is
> saving lives, saving trees, fighting poverty and hunger in the
Third
> World, how to make a solar box cooker, school project
>
> Improved woodstoves are another:
>
> http://journeytoforever.org/at_woodfire.html
> Wood fires that fit - Appropriate technology
>
> http://journeytoforever.org/teststove.html
> Cookstove for schools: Journey to Forever
>
> Biogas is another. But there isn't one single complete solution.
> There's still a lot of basic development work to be done on
improved
> woodstoves, especially on the IDD woodgas variety, one of the more
> promising types. For instance, this was reported in New
Scientist: "A
> new kind of cooking stove for Kenya is an example. Some Englishmen
> invented a stove that could be made of local clay and which was
much
> more economical of wood than what had been used. They went to
Kenya
> and persuaded the locals to build 250 of them over several years.
At
> the same time a kerosene stove made in Japan was introduced and
> 10,000 were sold through ordinary commercial channels. The
kerosene
> stove was not made locally, and the fuel had to be imported." A
solar
> cooker some Americans attempted to introduce in Lesotho was even
more
> of a flop. In both cases, it wasn't so much that the cookers were
> flop, the projects trying to introduce them were.
>
> Anyway, since so many 3rd World people have demonstrated a
preference
> for kero stoves, one (of several) approaches is never mind the
> stoves, how to substitute for the fuel? Basically, two problems,
and
> two possibilities. The problems are two kinds of stoves (at
least) -
> pressure stoves ("roarers") and wick stoves. The two main
> possibilities are biodiesel and SVO. Biodiesel is technically the
> better option, or at least the easier one. It's said biodiesel
won't
> travel up a wick, but it will, if you get the wick right, and the
> level of fuel in the reservoir relative to the wick right too. So
> will SVO, though it's not as easy and it helps to pre-heat it.
Todd's
> talked of a donut-shaped affair, which confirms what we've been
> working on too. But first we needed to know whether biodiesel will
> burn in an ordinary, generic-type, kero pressure stove without
> modification. Thanks to Ramjee, we can say the answer is an
> unqualified "Yes". Great news! Now, how to get it to burn SVO?
Next
> problem, followed by developing stoves or adaptations to existing
> stoves for burning biodiesel and/or SVO in wick stoves.
>
> On the ground, biodiesel is not the best solution - SVO will
always
> be more easily available at village-level than biodiesel will be.
On
> the other hand, there are many good reasons for starting biodiesel
> projects, or biodiesel-SVO projects, in villages, with the usual
> provisos of all development projects - see our Community
development