on 6/15/04 7:35 AM, tomasjkn at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It seems to me, that there should be a direct chemical
> conversion route from oil to fatty acid methyl esters.
>
> (R-COO)-CH2-(R-COO-)CH-CH2-(-COO-R) +3H2 ==> 3 R-COO-CH3

Unfortunately, the ester linkage will always be much easier
to break than the C-C bonds in the glycerol. I don't believe
what you're suggesting would be possible.

> Or, perhaps a less radical idea, but achieving the same
> economy: Maybe there is a route to convert your waste
> glycerol into methanol?
>
> CH2OH-CHOH-CH2OH + 3H2 ==> 3 CH3OH

This one is much more likely -- there are probly bacteria or
yeasts that could break down a simple sugar like glycerol
directly to methanol. If not, they could certainly be
bioengineered :-)    -K