The immersion heater is a 115V type (NOT the 240V type)used for the
common water heater (I also got another one to convert the lower
element to 115V instead of the 240V it comes with)and can be
acquired anywhere they sell water heaters,and usually right next to
where they are displayed, such as Home Hardware or such large
hardware stores. The heater is a round screw in type and the thread
does not match any regular drum thread well, special thread and all
that, (hense the need to use LOTS of pipe tape) so what I did was to
get a "conversion" flange (used to convert heaters with a square
heater "hole" to a round one) that is square with a screw in hole
that accomodates the screw in the heater element perfectly (it is
made for it)and then I had the brother-in-law weld the square flange
into the side of the metal pre-heat drum, and all I had to do is
screw in the heater element. I also had him weld a drain tap as far
down as possible on the same drum, using a bushing so all that was
left to do was to screw in the drain tap.(you can use any type of
drain tap you want that fits your needs; I used one that accomodates
a water hose adapter so that it can be easily removed and
transported ect...) The idea for the square conversion attachment
came from a plumber that happened to be at the store when I
explained what I wanted to do to the clerk who looked at me like I'd
fallen off a distant planet... I have not yet attached the
thermostat from the water heater's upper element (which I have to
disable anyway) but that is on the list.
I also am in the process of building my first processor, and it is
paycheque to paycheque which comes around every two weeks like many
people, but during the time it is taking it allows time to think and
rethink the plans and possibilities and continue to scour the
threads here for any improvements I can make while still in the
building stages.
A treasure house of information this list is, so avail yourself of
everything you can from those who have gone on before and have
learned what works and what doesn't. Trial and error is a great
teacher, but learning from the experience of others is much less
frustrating :)

Luc

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Luc,
>
> What type of immersion heater are you using for your pre-heat
tank?
> I've heard that you can get water heater immersion heaters cheap
and
> screw them into a drum bung using a flange.  I haven't really
looked
> into this locally, but everything I'm finding on the net is $200
US
> and up.  I know that there is a cheaper solution out there.
>
> I'm still in the process of gathering parts for my processor.
This