Hi all,
the link I posted yesterday may have got cut. Here is an excerpt

Pentagon article link (free part)

The Pentagon's Weather Nightmare
The climate could change radically, and fast. That
 would be the mother of all national security issues.
By David Stipp

Global warming may be bad news for future
 generations, but let's face it, most of us
 spend as little time worrying about it as
 we did about al Qaeda before 9/11. Like the
 terrorists, though, the seemingly remote
 climate risk may hit home sooner and harder
 than we ever imagined. In fact, the prospect
 has become so real that the Pentagon's strategic
 planners are grappling with it.

The threat that has riveted their attention is this:
Global warming, rather than causing gradual,
centuries-spanning change, may be pushing the
 climate to a tipping point. Growing evidence
suggests the ocean-atmosphere system that
 controls the world's climate can lurch from
 one state to another in less than a decade
like a canoe that's gradually tilted until
 suddenly it flips over. Scientists don't
 know how close the system is to a critical
 threshold. But abrupt climate change may
well occur in the not-too-distant future.
 If it does, the need to rapidly adapt may
 overwhelm many societies thereby upsetting
 the geopolitical balance of power.

Though triggered by warming, such change
 would probably cause cooling in the
 Northern Hemisphere, leading to longer,
harsher winters in much of the U.S. and
 Europe. Worse, it would cause massive
 droughts, turning farmland to dust bowls
 and forests to ashes. Picture last fall's
 California wildfires as a regular thing.
 Or imagine similar disasters destabilizing
 nuclear powers such as Pakistan or Russia÷it's
 easy to see why the Pentagon has become
interested in abrupt climate change.

Climate researchers began getting seriously
 concerned about it a decade ago, after
studying temperature indicators embedded...

<
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,582584,00.h
tml >

regards

Tomorrow-Energy News Group
Daily Alternative Energy News
  and Resources Added
Information about the future world energy mix
practical alternative energy options: