Your web sites about how bad Israel is don't mean a lot in this discussion -
all I'm saying is that if I had an enemy living as close to me as Syria is to
Israel, I wouldn't let them keep the high ground after they had started
shelling me from it either - regardless of whether or not they owned it.  Just
like if someone else's kid shoots me or my property with a BB gun, I take the
gun away before I inform their parents that they won't get it back.

You can hate Israel or love it as you choose - I don't care how you feel about
them, but their military strategists are right on in keeping Golan to defend
themselves against a neighbor who proved themselves to be hostile when they
began shelling Israel from that position in an effort to destroy Israel.  If I
were in Israel's shoes, I would do exactly the same thing.

As for the attack on the USS Liberty, I'm no expert and certainly don't believe
I've heard the whole story just from reading these two web sites, but even if
these two web sites do tell the whole story, we'd have to see a lot more
anti-American action from Israel before distancing ourselves from them became
an even remotely palatable idea.  Just like the French are still our allies
after the recent discoveries of their illegal arms sales to Saddam Hussein and
after the "accidental" bombing of the French Embassy in Libya, sometimes human
beings make flawed decisions and one or two of these is not a reason to sever
relationships or to have a policy reversal.

Dan