In a nutshell yes.

Granted, you would not have pure Sodium Hydroxide, more than likely you would
have some Potassium Hydroxide ( not necessarily a bad thing ) as well,
depending on the wood type you burn ( hardwoods tend to have more Potassium,
than softwoods ), and perhaps other salts in minor amounts, but what you would
have, is basically lye.

To know how strong it is, you would have to test it against lye of a known
value, this can be done reasonably simply by making 2 test batches, one batch
with your homemade lye, the other with some pure lye, and the difference
between the two, should tell you about how strong the homemade lye is, and
approximately how much to adjust it by.   If your wood is consistently the same
the year round, and you lye making techniques are consistent, your results
should be consistent.   The thing to do as far as the testing is concerned, is
to, do all of your testing before your worst case scenario happens, using the
same techniques as you would then.

One thought about the government and worse case scenario:

In the past, most governments tended to become more restrictive , and use
harsher measures for minor infractions ( what ever they may be ) for the things
the government can control, when things the government can't control get
overwhelming.   This is for various reasons the biggest of which, is it makes
the government look like they are actually doing something about the problem.
Most often governments will over react to a problem that has caught them with
their pants down around their ankles.

Someone only has to look at 9/11, and the results, like the various laws passed
since then, travel issues ( like almost having to pass a criminal background
check to fly ) and redefining what a terrorist is ( not to mention it being
somewhat vague, in parts of the definition ) to see what I'm talking about.  At
times like that, even innocent people get caught up in the " net of justice "

Greg H.