My last message put out the fire. This one will blow away all the
smoke. The next one will deal with what's left - two important issues.

First, the smoke. Mark was told by the List owner to stop spamming
the list, following a long succession of messages promoting -
PROMOTING, not just "mentioning" as alleged - what she calls "her"
home page, veggieavenger, over a long period, growing more and more
relentless and blatant until it finally became insupportable.

She refused, she was defiant, she argued about it, and she continued
doing it. Why?

The second issue arose through her demanding that I "credit" the
veggieavenger site as the source of her "Appleseed" reactor material
at Journey to Forever. But it was not the source of the material, as
was conclusively shown, and she had twice approved the material at
JtF, including the sourcing. All material at JtF is correctly
sourced, we're professional publishers of long standing and we're
very careful about that. So it could only be a request for a link,
and that has nothing to do with author's rights, the decision is
entirely the webmaster's. But this was used by Girl Mark and what
emerged as her allies as the basis of all kinds of accusations, here
and elsewhere, many of them slanderous and actionable (if we cared
enough), about abusing an author's rights, holding it "hostage",
plagiarism, theft and so on.

Never mind the smokescreen, the case is simple and unambiguous, and
this is not an issue, despite all attempts to make it one.

But why was Girl Mark so insistent on getting "her" site linked at
Journey to Forever, even stooping to such questionable tactics?

Why also did she and others keep painting the whole row as a matter
of "competition", "upstaging" and so on? Mark has done that a few
times before, each time she's either put her foot in it or it's
exploded in her face, but she keeps right on doing it. Rather
telling. We are not interested in competition or upstaging, I've
killed that argument in a couple of previous posts. That is not an
issue here, at least not on our side. (Sides! Yuk!)

Anyway, her demands rejected, Mark then demanded that I take down her
material at JtF, not a big surprise. But that is not her prerogative,
especially for such a baseless reason. If there is a genuine problem,
publishers might be prepared to negotiate with authors over
withdrawal following publication, even though the author has approved
the publication, though it'd be rare. They certainly can't be told to
do so by a pettish author - "It's my ball and you can't play with
it," as Gustl put it. So that is not an issue either, just hot air.
(Anyway, it's Dale Scroggins's ball, isn't it?)

What emerged from this attempt at distraction was my telling Mark
that it was my decision to make, not hers, but that I'd been having
serious misgivings about her material anyway, because of a growing
number of contradictions. I outlined some of them and pointed to
others, to which she'd repeatedly failed to respond.

"You say one thing and do another? ... Which leaves a person
wondering just what it is that you teach people." And: "Anyway, your
"Bubblewashing 101" piece probably won't last too long either, I
doubt it will survive the next website updating, when I get that far."

You'd think, wouldn't you, that if there were contradictions and
doubts about her material Mark would want to sort them out, no?
That's what I wanted, I've been trying for nearly two months, ever
since I asked those questions in the first of the two previous posts
that Mark ignored ("Re: washing biodiesel in large processor", 10 Jul
2004). But no. A subsequent off-list reminder got no response from
her. Nor this time round, which brought up further contradictions -
but Mark was too busy to reply, put it all off till yesterday and we
got this "messy flood" of distraction instead, and so did everybody
else.

Every time Mark has offered material to Journey to Forever or
proposed updates I've responded immediately and willingly, some of
which is now on record here, yet she claims this: "I doubt that you
would upload an updated version from me," and ignores my attempts to
discuss it and hopefully to sort it out. She's still ignoring it,
right now, and we've had all this smoke-and-mirrors stuff instead of
a discussion. Why?

So now we reach the nub of it. When people alleged this row was just
"in-fighting" and so on and it should be taken off-list, I said there
were serious issues involved, "it's a quality control issue, and an
ethical one".

Does Mark's material pass the quality test?

No.

Does Mark pass the ethical test?

You can judge that for yourself. The last of these messages will be
the series of links to the main messages in this "ahem, discussion",
in sequence, without all the noise, as Todd suggested.

Does Mark still qualify as a list member?

No. About 10 times over.

See next message, Girl Mark's posts 3.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever