[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Most things fabricated today use polymers that are derived from fossil fuels
(plastics usually).  So, devices used to tap into wind or hydro power rely on
the petroleum industry.  I have heard of research into polymers from
renewable products but I'm not sure how far along such research.  Perhaps
someone else on the list knows more about such things.  Once we can get
polymers out of corn we will be able to further detach ourselves from fossil
fuels.

I've done some research into plant polymers.  I've pasted an article  from
Purdue here that has some info. I'm told jojoba is a good source but can't find
anything on it on the web. Anyone know about this?

Marilyn

http://plastics.about.com/library/PR/2001/blpurdue1.htm

Biotechnology Produces Plastics from Plants

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - February 15, 2001 - Scientists have found a gene
that allows plants to package and store materials in their cells - a discovery
that may open the door to producing new types of plastics from plant
materials.

Clint Chapple, professor of biochemistry at Purdue University, and Knut
Meyer of DuPont and Co., have cloned a gene from the common laboratory
plant Arabadopsis that will allow materials to produce plastics in crops
without
damaging the plant's health.

A patent application, in which both Purdue and DuPont have rights, has been
filed on the use of the gene for the production of monomers. Chapple also
received the 2001 Agricultural Researcher Award from the Purdue School of
Agriculture for his work.

Currently, petroleum is used to make nearly all plastics; it also is used as a
base material or solvent in paints, household and industrial chemicals and in
thousands of other applications.

But crop plants such as corn or soybeans hold the potential to create plants
that provide the starting materials to make the plastics we already have and to
make new plastics with never-before-seen properties, Chapple says.

Plastics are produced by making chains of compounds derived from
petroleum. Scientists call these chains polymers, and the individual
molecules that form the chain are called monomers.

One reason scientists are interested in making plastics from plants is that
plants produce an amazing array of compounds that could be used for
monomers in plastics.

"We have been historically limited by the number of polymers that we can
make from petroleum," Chapple says.

Plants also are much more versatile than petroleum.

"Plants are really amazing chemical factories that produce a mind-boggling
number of interesting chemicals," Chapple says. "We can exploit that ability
by using genomics to identify the genes required to make those compounds
and by using biotechnology to insert the genes into crop plants."

Until now, however, the problem has been trying to get plants to make
enough of these substances for the whole process to be economically viable,
he says. "Although crude oil supplies are finite, petroleum has been a much
less expensive source for plastic monomers."

Fortunately, plants already have methods for making and storing large
amounts of compounds that help protect them from insects, disease and
ultraviolet radiation in sunlight. They do this by combining (or to use the
scientists' preferred term, conjugating) the molecules with other molecules to
produce stable, soluble forms of the compound that are stored in small
structures, called vacuoles, within the cells. The vacuoles isolate the
compound from the rest of the biochemical processes going on in the plant.

"We've now cloned a gene that produces an enzyme that is in involved in
conjugating these compounds in plants," Chapple says.

The project is part of DuPont's "Plants as Plants" initiative. "DuPont is
interested in making new plastics and other products from crop plants,"
Chapple says. "But if you do that you have to make sure that they can be
stored in the vacuole in a safe way at a high concentration."

Meyer says DuPont can be thought of as a company that produces polymers
and is constantly looking for new monomers to build new plastics.

"DuPont produces nylon and many related products," he says. "But some
monomers are difficult to make from petroleum using traditional chemistry, so
we're looking at monomers produced in higher levels in plants. Dr. Chapple's
work helps us stabilize these monomers in plants and produce them at higher
levels."

Meyer says DuPont is investigating using genetically modified microbes as
well as plants to produce monomers. For example, DuPont has a project near
completion that uses the bacterium E. coli to produce the monomer for a type
of plastic that is used in carpet fibers, among other things.

However, plants are more attractive chemical factories than microbes
because they may be cheaper.

"The inherent advantage with plants is that you get your nutrients for free -
the
carbon dioxide and sunlight are there for the plants," Meyer says. "With
microbes, on the other hand, you have a high capital investment because you
have to build factories to produce and feed them."

Because plants produce such a wide variety of natural products, Chapple
says new products that aren't even being currently considered might soon be
possible.

"Let's think a bit more creatively," Chapple says. "In the future, we may still
use
polyethylene to make some plastics. But we may be able to develop plastics
with such special properties that we find new uses for them. Maybe it's exactly
the right compound to use in synthetic heart valves or in parts for jet
aircraft,
for example. It's very exciting to think about what may be possible with this
research."

Writer: Steve Tally, (765) 494-9809; [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Biochemist Clint Chapple withdraws a specimen of Arabidopsis from a growth
chamber in a laboratory at Purdue University. Chapple has cloned a gene
from the plant that will make it easier for crop plants to produce precursors
for
plastics. (Purdue Department of Agricultural Communication Photo by Tom
Campbell)

A publication-quality photograph is available at http://news.uns.purdue.edu
and at ftp://ftp.purdue.edu/pub/uns/. Photo ID: Chapple.plastics