To: <Biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Re: Environmentalism is dead. What's next?

This is not about class or income or about "those people". It was zoned as an industrial area and had been zoned as such for over 75 years.

As far as living on the wrong side of tracks, my house is on the wrong side of tracks. I also happen to live in a town with an economic redevelopment agency that is looking to redevelop 60 acres in the middle of town. As far as the McMansion's go, I'd be just as happy if the state of CT used eminent domain to take land in Fairfield County to fix the inadequate railroad intrastructure between NY and Boston.

But why ruin the nice little assumptions you've clearly formed about me...

jh

Brian wrote:

You are correct that New London didn't claim the Ft. Trumbell
neighborhood was blighted. However, it's also worth noting that it had been zoned as an industrial area since *1929* and contained a junkyard, oil tank farm and railroad yard. This wasn't some treelined Norman Rockwell-esque suburb we're talking about here.

I think that this quote perfectly emphasizes my concern. The suburbs and McMansions are safe. It is the houses that are in the "other" areas that are at risk. Those that people who can't afford a McMansion live in. If it was your treelined Norman Rockwell-esque suburb, this could never have been done. Since it was the other side of the tracks, however, it is inherently OK. Those people don't deserve to own property, anyway, right?

Brian