There is also an excellent documentary film out called "The
Corporation" that explains the history of their rise to power. This
is its web site.
http://www.thecorporation.com/
Marilyn

Biofuel@sustainablelists.org wrote:
Fwd from Lion Kuntz at Sustainable Agriculture Network
Discussion
Group (SANET):

>While looking up something about Tom Scott, in 1877 the
>president of the biggest corporation in the world who went to
>war with John D. Rockefeller and lost, I found a link.
>
>This link led to a chapter of a book online, which had good
>information, and confirmed facts from a number of other
sources.
>However, I noticed that the host site offered the electronic
>version of the book for free download in PDF format.
>
>If anybody would like to save themselves twenty-five smackers,
>this book is offered by arrangement of the author and the
>publisher. It is not some pirate copy.
>
>http://gangsofamerica.com/index.html
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Sincerely, Lion Kuntz
>Santa Rosa, California, USA

Download for free:
http://gangsofamerica.com/read.html

http://gangsofamerica.com/index.html
Gangs of America by Ted Nace - the rise of Corporate Power and
the
disabling of democracy

Corporations are the dominant force in modern life, surpassing
even
church and state. The largest are richer than entire nations, and
courts have given these entities more rights than people. To
many
Americans, corporate power seems out of control. According to a
Business Week/Harris poll released in September 2000, 82
percent of
those surveyed agreed that "business has too much power over
too many
aspects of our lives." And the recent revelations of corporate
scandal and political influence have only added to such
concerns.

Where did this powerful institution come from? How did it get so
much
power? In Gangs of America: The Rise of Corporate Power and
the
Disabling of Democracy, author Ted Nace probes the roots of
corporate
power, finding answers in surprising places.

A key revelation of the book is the wariness of the Founding
Fathers
toward corporations. That wariness was shaped by rampant
abuses on
the part of British corporations such as the Virginia Company,
whose
ill-treatment killed thousands of women and children on
forced-labor
tobacco plantations, and the East India Company, whose
attempt to
monopolize American commodities led to the merchant-led
rebellion
known as the Boston Tea Party.

Because of such attitudes, the word corporation does not appear
once
in the United States Constitution. At the Constitutional
Convention,
all proposals to include corporations in that document were
voted
down by delegates. Corporate attorneys persisted in seeking
legal
protections for their clients by means of sympathetic court
rulings,
but until the Civil War such attempts largely failed.

After the Civil War, the tide quickly turned, as lobbyists secured
key changes in corporate law and as corporate attorneys won a
series
of decisions from an increasingly pro-corporate Supreme Court.
Nace
recounts the key figures who engineered the "corporate bill of
rights," in particular two brilliant strategists: railroad baron Tom
Scott and Supreme Court Justice Stephen Field. The book
explores in
depth the bizarre intrigues that resulted in the infamous
"corporations are persons" ruling of 1886, and how that ruling
affected the subsequent development of Supreme Court
doctrine.

Nace charts the growth of corporate power through the Gilded
Age,
including the bloody repression of organized labor and the rise
of
social Darwinist thinking among American elites. He recounts
how that
expansion came to a halt under the New Deal, as organized
labor
gained legal protections, social Darwinism fell into disrepute,
and
Franklin Roosevelt asserted a vision of American society that
placed
democratic limits on corporate power. To many observers, it
seemed
that the corporate Frankenstein had finally been tamed by
"countervailing power."

According to Nace, that optimistic view was dashed in the final
decades of the twentieth century, as Big Business mounted a
remarkable comeback. The corporate political resurgence
began with a
1971 memorandum written by Lewis Powell, Jr., shortly before
Powell
was appointed to the Supreme Court by Richard Nixon. In the
memorandum, Powell urged corporate America to apply its full
organizational and strategic resources to politics, a course of
action that proved highly successful.

Gangs of America describes the expansion of corporate legal
empowerment onto the global stage through international
agreements
such as the North American Free Trade Agreement, which
boosted the
legal powers of corporations to the level of sovereign nations.
The
book pays special attention to recent events, including campaign
finance reform, the financial scandals of 2002, and the growing
movement to redefine the corporation and limit corporate power.

Ted Nace worked as a researcher on electric utility policy for the
Environmental Defense Fund and as staff director of the Dakota
Resource Council, a grassroots group seeking to protect farms
and
ranches from strip mines and other energy projects. In 1985, he
founded Peachpit Press, the world's leading publisher of books
on
computer graphics and desktop publishing. After selling
Peachpit
Press to British publishing conglomerate Pearson, Nace felt
driven to
understand the historical roots of corporate political power.
Gangs
of America, the result of that quest, features Nace's engaging,
personal, and complex voice - that of a writer, a businessman,
and an
activist.

sts.org

Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives
(50,000 messages):