Tom Irwin wrote:
I don't think ethanol will be a dinosaur in 20 years but would appreciate why you think so if it is other than yields per hectare. Methanol has the capacity to produce some nasty tailpipe emmission (as does ethanol but less so) and is far more toxic to humans and animals than ethanol. Another component of sustainability is safety. I would not wish to see methanol filling stations. Most people have no concept how nasty it is. Yes, it can be handled safely by those who understand the dangers but most folks don't have that knowledge.

And gasoline isn't toxic and dangerous? The average Joe has been filling up with a flammable toxic liquid for almost 100 years. I don't see how methanol requires any retraining as opposed to gasoline.

jh