Castro: U.S. hasn't responded to Katrina offer
>From Lucia Newman
CNN
Monday, September 5, 2005; Posted: 11:48 a.m. EDT (15:48 GMT)

HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- Cuban President Fidel Castro told more than 1,500
doctors Sunday night that American officials had made "absolutely no
response" to his offer to send them to the U.S. Gulf Coast to help victims
of Hurricane Katrina.
Castro, a longtime adversary of the United States, initially offered to send
1,100 doctors and at least 26 tons of supplies and equipment, but the
Communist leader announced Sunday during a televised speech that he had
increased the number of physicians to 1,586. Each doctor would carry about
27 pounds of medicine.
"You could all be there right now lending your services, but 48 hours have
passed since we made this offer, and we have received absolutely no
response," Castro said at Havana's Palace of the Revolution.
"We continue to wait patiently for a response. In the meantime, all of you
will be taking intensive courses in immunology and also something that I
should be doing -- an intensive brush-up course in English."
Besides Cuba, several other countries and international agencies have
offered money and supplies to the hurricane victims. (Full story)
In the past, Cuba has refused U.S. offers of aid, the most recent following
Hurricane Dennis. That storm killed more than 10 people in the Caribbean
island nation in July.
At that time, Castro said he would not accept help from Washington because
of the U.S. trade embargo against his country. The United States has no
diplomatic relations with Cuba.
Castro has named the Cuban rescue team the Henry Reeve Brigade in honor of
an American who fought with Cuba's rebel forces during the Cuban War of
Independence against Spain that began in 1895.
The doctors who have been mobilized went to South Asia after the December
tsunami and have worked in other disasters.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/09/05/katrina.cuba/index.html

I guess George Bush is ignoring Fidel Castro, much like Mike Weaver was
ignoring Kieth Addison (or was it the other way around?).  Perhaps the Cuban
doctors should brush up on English phrases like, "Don't shoot, I am not a
spy!", "Yes, this medicine is legal (wink,wink)." and "Insurance, you don't
need no stinking insurance."

Earl Kinsley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are
free."
 -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Check out my latest blogs at http://KinsleyForPrez08.blogspot.com